Used dodge caravan

Asked by Mar 28, 2016 at 04:10 AM

I bought a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan from a dealership 5 months ago.  I thought
that buying a used car from a dealer would be a good idea cause I thought the car
was thourghly inspected by them prior to selling it.  I also purchased the extended
warranty in case anything would happen.  Last week the esp/bas and the traction
lights turned on and a rubbing sound as well as a feeling that the car is braking
without me stepping on the brake is happening.  I took the car into the
dealership(not the one I bought it from) and they said I have defective mounts and
that I need dynamic sensor, steering angle sensor, and stabilizer bar link all of
which would cost about $2000.  Does this sound right cause to me it doesn't seem
that all this is what is causing my problem.  And if it is, shouldnt the place I bought
the car from caught the defective mounts prior to selling the car.  My warranty
apparently doesn't cover the parts that I need.  This just feels wrong to me but I
really don't know much about cars.  Help feeling ripped off thanks Julia

Ya, your sorta ripped off. Should have asked at the dealer what was checked out before buying it, some dealers will do like a 20 point inspection before resell, some don't. Also on those extended warranties, there are different coverage's that you choose from. Should read threw what they cover before purchasing. You may be able to haggle with the dealer over the cost of repairs, but get some other quotes before bringing it in.

Best Answer

So taking it back to the dealer I bought it from and asking to trade it is not an option? I feel I was sold a defective car. It doesn't seem ok for a dealer who has mechanics working for them not to thoroughly inspect the car especially one with high mileage prior to reselling. It should be mandatory I would think. It's one thing when buying from an individual. I feel they sold me a lemon

omg- you must be young- dealers, car lots, etc. are just the modern equivalent of horse traders- that's all! when you step on a dealership's lot, be ready to spend more money than a car is worth- it was that way a hundred years ago, and it will be that way a hundred years from now- I knew you were in trouble as soon as I read: "used dodge caravan"

The original dealer you bought the car from probably what seems to be a good deal trading in what you got from him, but at least you know what questions to ask now. Just shop around see what other places also will do for you on a trade in.