Toyota Yaris

Asked by Jan 10, 2016 at 05:35 AM

Hi. I have a 1996 model Yaris it is an automatic and have been having a problem for sometime. When I stop at a junction, roundabout or just starting the car up and pull away the car doesn't seem to have the power to pull away so I end up having to pull out very slow and it can take a few seconds to let me accelerate. The engine maintenance light is on which I have had tested about 5 times at different garages and been told nothing clear is showing up. One garage change the mass air flow sensor which helped the problem for about 3 weeks but then the light came back on and then the problem at junctions started again. Another garage cleaned somethings which worked for about a day. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be as every mechanic Iv took it too doesn't seem to know. Thank you.

37,935

Could be many things yet, sounds like lazy mechanics. Seems there on the right track, but do not want to follow threw. I would throw in a new Temperature Sending Unit, and have the 02 sensors tested and replaced as necessary. If you know of any code numbers that have ben read, please post them.

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I don't know any code numbers but it is going back to the garage again tomorrow. I have mentioned the 02 sensors. One mechanic said it has a some converter on (sorry I don't know about cars so can't remember the exact name) and that is causing the light to come on but it is not worth changing because of the age of car so to try and live with the light but that is not helping with the loss of power when pulling away. Thanks again.

37,935

Oh yes, very well could be a catalytic converter. Expensive to replace. They will get plugged up and cause major hesitation eventually. You will get to the point that you wouldn't be able to go anywhere.

Oh that does not sound good! Thank you again for your help. I will take it back to the garage tomorrow and see what they say....again :)