how do i put the distibutor in an 01 mitz eclips 3.0 the plug wiers were to short so my cuzin puled it out tuerned it and put it backthe car iidles but the exaust tuerned red and caught fire

20

Asked by Nov 01, 2015 at 07:02 AM

I have been asked to fix my cousins 2001 mitsubishi eclipse after she had done the valve cover gaskets, the car ran before this with a rough idle and kind of stumbled, the following day I hooked up my ob2 scanner and was allowing the car to warm up, to run tests in which the front section of the exaust system turned RED and then caught fire after further inspection she has also replaced the plugs with Bosch  double platinum, and the wires. the distributor cap is cracked and the roter contact is chewed up severly. the firing order is wrong and it appears the distributor has been removed and put back on incorrectly. As I stand at the driver side fender and look at the distributor, the lower left plug terminal on the distributor cap is labled #6 the book says it should be #1.
after purchusing a new cap, and setting the #1 piston to top dead center how do I know how to put the distributor in the motor to should the contact of the rotor be pointing at the#1 terminal of the cap and do I procede with the firing order 123456 clockwise from there?

56,855

Don't worry about the firing order. Once you have the #1 cylinder at top dead center position the rotor to point to the #1 spark plug wire tower on the distributor. Then insert the distributor in the engine. The rotor will move as the gears mesh. Note the movement. Now remove the distributor and reset the rotor to compensate for the movement of the rotor on installation. Then reinstall the distributor. Have a helper crank the engine while you slowly turn the distributor one direction then the other until the engine starts. Once you get it running set the ignition timing using a timing light. The reason for the glowing exhaust and fire is because with the engine misfiring and running poorly the catalytic converter overheated. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer
56,855

Do like the book. I'm assuming that the cap is an aftermarket part and may fit more than one engine. HTH. -Jim

20

should i jest start wher the roter is with the number one plug and go with the fireing order in the book the roter is in the five Oclock and the book wants it to be in the 7 Oclock

56,855

The distributor will probably only drop in 1 of 2 ways. The correct way and 180° out. If you look at the bottom of the distributor shaft you'll see a pin. This engages the oil pump. So even when the gears mesh, you can only fully install it with the rotor in 1 of 2 positions. Go with the diagrams in the book. HTH. -Jim