Are there any 6 speed manual transmissions compatible with a 2005 3.5l Kia Sorento

Asked by Jun 26, 2015 at 10:48 AM

I'm trying to squeeze a few more mpg out of this thing, its' got a 5 speed stick in it now and cruises at 60mgh @ about 2700 rpm.  I've got a 90+ mile round trip commute so any extra mileage would be appreciated.  I get from 17-21 mpg, depends on the time of year, the old girl really hates Iowa winters.

First, that car should be getting better mileage than that- make sure the maintenance is up to date and the engine is tuned up- and pump the tires up to 35- Next- whatever a new tranny costs will not be cost effective just to get a few mpg more- and what will really start costing money is when that KIA starts falling apart and you have big repair bills to keep it on the road- the miles you're putting on that car guarantees that- just jump out now and buy something that gets the MPG you want- and will stand up to the kind of driving you're doing-

James Kitlas

There are several aftermarket 6-speeds out there. The problem is how or what to use to adapt it to your Kia engine.Trans-dapt makes a few bell housings. I don't know what (if any) Korean 6 speeds are comparable. Better to use what you have like taller dia. tires & inflated to the maximum for less rolling resistance, aerodynamics, lowering, front spoilers & rear air dams, Salt flat racers make their cars slippery by duct taping all the cracks & seams, even making a smooth cardboard chasis bottom for the car. Turbo or Superchargers, water injection, oil coolers, cold air intakes, custom perf exhaust systems (big tube) MSD ignition modules, solid center spark plug wires, E3 spark plugs. Even my JCW Mini Cooper-S had a 6-spd & at 60 mph in 6th gear it was 3000 rpm's. Any lower rpm would lag or bog your engine. I'm sure your Kia doesn't have a lot of low rpm torque. Only big V8's & diesels can do that.