Trade-in to dealership or sell seperately?

60

Asked by Jun 23, 2015 at 01:57 PM

I was wondering what would be better... trade-in our old van when buying a new vehicle or would it be smarter to sell it separately to say a Carmax and get a bit more money for it? If I did that, would the plate transfer be a hassle when getting a new car from a dealership?

You get new plates with a new car regardless...unless you have disabled or vanity plates, that you want to keep but either way it would not cause a problem

60

Thanks for your answer FordNut. So, one more question.. does a trade-in of my old vehicle make much difference in negotiating a lower price on a new vehicle? I got it appraised at Carmax for $750. I'm sure the dealership would give me maybe 500. Not sure if it's worth it to trade in and maybe help my cause of getting the price down a little more, or if I should just sell it separately and get most money from it. Thoughts?

237,365

FOrdnut is right, license plates have no bearing if you sell or trade in the old one. You can get a couple hundred to a thousand more on most vehicles if you sell yourself vs trading in . Up to you if you want the hassle. Plus most people who get rid of a car for a new one is due to problems with the old one, and trading it in is easier on the conscience vs selling to someone you know.