2002 Hyundai Elantra

145

Asked by May 12, 2015 at 12:18 PM

I purchased a 2002 Hyundai Elantra with approximately 210,000km; my issue started about 2 months ago. I would come to a stop and the car would start hesitating and sputtering and eventually stalls. Always restarted after a couple minutes. The issue got progressively worse. We changed the fuel pump assembly, fuel strainer, canister purge valve and new spark plugs. This corrected the issue for about 3 days. It started missing and progressively got worse again stalling and sputtering, always restarting until yesterday. It was having issues starting again, would start for a couple seconds and if I applied pressure on the gas pedal there was no response and it stalled the car. Start it again idled rough; step on the gas and it was like it was being choked out. Had an opposite effect when stepping on the gas, instead of the RPM increasing it decreased & died. Very frustrating as you just never knew when it was going to die. Now it sits, does anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong with it now? Tired of sinking money into parts when it is not correcting the issue. Any advice would help. ?????

20

Sounds like its one of two things. Either not enough gas getting to the engine, try some carb cleaner add a bottle to a full tank of gas. Also a tune up if your throttle has slack in it. Try those 2 simple cheap things first before going somewhere to get a expensive repair if its not needed.

145

Hi Murphy_Motors I have done this already. The strange thing is my check engine light has never come on for this issue. So it shows no error message at all. My mechanic is even at a loss of what the issue could be, so I took it to another mechanic. He even couldn't find any issues popping up. Thank you for your thoughts, if you could think of anything else it is appreciated.