Sales Tax QuestionI live in Oregon (no sales tax), but I am looking to purchase a used vehicle from a dealership in Florida. They are saying that Oregon is a non-reciprocal state and I have to pay Florida's sales tax. Another car dealer in Oregon says I shouldn't have to because it has to do with where you reside. Does anyone know for sure?

10

Asked by Dec 18, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Sales Tax Question
I live in Oregon (no sales tax), but I am looking to purchase a used vehicle from a dealership in Florida. They are saying that Oregon is a non-reciprocal state and I have to pay Florida's sales tax. Another car dealer in Oregon says I shouldn't have to because it has to do with where you reside. Does anyone know for sure?

Point of sale. You have to pay the tax. I am not an authority on tax issues, just speak from experience, it's not where you live it's where the sale takes place, the dealer has to pay it to the State for any sales he makes, regardless of the source. Sorry.

10

Thank you!

315

FordNut is Wrong...I've been a Florida Car Dealer for 40 years...You Pay sales tax when you register the car...It's not being registered in Florida, so no sales tax is due...You need to find another dealer to do business with...

I stand corrected. I looked it up, all the tax statutes and it seems.... years ago... I was charged sales tax when I should not have been. That is what I meant by " Speak from experience" ..I was ignorant at the time and that dealer, which will remain unnamed, (bad word) ed me Thank you Gentlemen for the information ...and Merry Christmas!!