I have a 1989 escort 1.9 wagon. I replaced Timing belt what is the correct way to do it?

Glenn Styles

Asked by Oct 25, 2014 at 01:17 PM

Lined up marks on crank and on
cam still not right? What am I
doing wrong or not doing? /

That's a straight forward line up, hard to mess it up, are you sure the ring hasn't slipped on the damper or the pin sheared on the cam gear.

Glenn Styles

I'm sure thought I was right I guess I'll figure it out

The Escorts are know to have vibration damper problems, the rubber softens and the timing ring starts to slip, if in doubt bring the engine up on TDC #1 cylinder the timing mark should be on 0 with the pointer. Go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRFRgHiHnyk Here is a little video, i know it includes the water pump also but it will give you the idea on the timing marks. Hope this helps.