Buying first truck, HELP!

10

Asked by Jul 30, 2014 at 02:14 PM

Alright so im looking to get my first truck and need some help. Im looking to spend
$5000 at the most. i know it wont get me a perfect truck but at least something that
will run for a couple more years without killing my wallet. i was looking at some dodge
ram 1500's and found a couple i like but the miles are way to high, however, the one i
would consider buying had a new engine and transmission. other than those two
things, maybe suspension needs to be replaced. would that be a good deal for less
than $5000?

Any tips on what i should be looking for or suggestions on what to get?

23,705

My advice- (and everyone will have a different opinion on this)- do NOT get a Dodge Ram- dey gots de problems- if I were you, I would find a 20th Century pickup that is somebody's baby- something with a carburetor that runs nice- if something goes wrong, you could learn to work on it yourself- you should be able to find a really cool truck for under 4 grand- again, you must meet the owner, and find out that he/she has repaired the truck and cared for the truck- check the bed, and make sure it is not all scratched up- if it has been worked to death, give it a pass- find the ONE really nice truck-

Best Answer Mark helpful
104,225

Most of us old guys will say get a chevy, they are cheap to buy and parts are easy to come by. There are still really good older chevy trucks out there.

10

just want to say thank you to both of you guys, jamnblues and tennisshoes! after work today talking to a fellow mechanic he turned me more toward chevys. so ill get to lookin. and i was planning on doing all my own work and treating it like my baby. and ill always listen to you "old guys" ha! smartest people on this planet. thanks so much, hope i find something i like soon!