With the timing belt off and just turning the crank should there be compression? This is on a 1998 dodge stratus single cam

Asked by Jun 17, 2014 at 11:28 PM

I changed out the water pump and
when I turned the crank to line up the
mark with out the belt on it was way
to easy. What or why would it be like
that can you give me any cause to
what would be wronge with it. Please

64,385

Yes you should have pressure on all cylinder,s,when you turn crank if it turns easy with spark plugs in,you may have intake or exhaust valves,stuck or bent,you should be able to have at least 130 to 150 pound,s of pressure on all cylinder,s and it hold it.You may have head damage if it doe,s not hold pressure, good luck with it.

20,235

nothing wrong, without belt valves are not moving and most are not seated at this time letting compression escape , alignment of crank, and camshaft must be set at proper marks to run in time

64,385

jimmy is correct,i didn,t see the timing belt off,my direction are with timing belt on, good call jimmy