Thinking of buying a 1998 BMW 750il with 220,000miles for $990

Asked by May 06, 2014 at 03:57 PM

I needed a car to drive to and from
work. My work is about 4 miles from
my house. The car is at a dealer and
it's in good condition. Is this a good
investment? How long would it last if
properly maintained? I didn't want to
spend over 2,000 for a car so I figure
I can buy this one and use the rest of
my money to clean it up a bit like
polish it, get new tires, etc..

875

Any car, no matter the make, with that type of mileage on it is a dangerous buy... that being said, see if you can get them down to llike $700... at that point, you could probably sell it off for parts and make a few bucks if it goes bad... the dealership will probably squack about it being under a grand already, but if you don't buy and they send to auction, they aren't going to get their price, pay transport and auction fees... Unless it really needs new tires, I'd hold off on that and keep any reserve cash you may have for mechanical issue... it is hard to say how long you'd be good with the car - could be 250k or 300k miles or it could tank a week after you buy it... at that age/miles it isn't about care, but just the fact that parts break down over time...