Need advice-prefer from a mechanic but all welcome!!

Asked by Apr 04, 2014 at 03:18 PM

Recently had my timing belt and head gasket replaced. I went to these guys because i
had just put alot into my car prior to this and they allowed me to make a payment plan.
a business that comes to your location. (bad idea) The guys said it would take 3-4
days and looked my car over. The next day they asked if i wanted them to do the
work. I said yes and they said they needed the parts money up front. Gave them the
money and they sent it off to the machine shop. a week or two later they started to
work on my car (after scheduling and rescheduling with me) they said the machine
shop damaged the part and had to order a new one. more time went by and then they
recieved the wrong part and ordered a new one. more time went by. schedule and
reschedule. at this point i considered going to someone else esp bc they wanted to
charge me more money for all this but my engine was out of the car at this point.
eventually, maybe 4-5 weeks later they finished. i test drove it and it was shaking
pretty bad at idle. i asked them to look it over and they said it absolutely had nothing to
do with them. i thought maybe the timing was off bc it didnt shake before they worked
on it. they said for $100 they could diagnosis for me. now skeptical bc ive never been
charged for something like that after paying for work done before, i told them that was
a bit high, they lowered it to 45. told me my car was shaking bc of water in the gas
tank, need new spark plugs/wires and another oil change (they just did one but i guess
i need another?) and said they recieved the knock sensor code and showed me it. now
my spark plugs are all new. wires are not cut or burnt. ive never had a knock sensor
code before and the fact that they said that was the ONLY code i kinda had a feeling i
should take it to someone else for a second opinion. not to mention the water in my
gas tank bit. plus i had my codes checked directly before all this and it didnt show up.
but its there, on the scanner, maybe im wrong? i want to be certain its not the timing
belt. these guys were a little iffy after dealing with them so long i had a feeling..took it
to my regular shop. NOW..timing belt is off by 2 teeth. timing belt cover was missing
two bolts or screws/not installed correctly and it was warped bc of that and rubbing
against the belt itself. the knock sensor was UNPLUGGED..reason for code and the
battery was not hooked up properly. shop said it was unlikely but it could have fallen
over. i told these guys all of this, they said they were upset i took it to another shop,
and said they would correct it but that i need new spark plugs and another oil change. i
told them i didnt want all of that. just the correction (id like to go somewhere else-if i
dont just do it myself) they insist i need it and they want to do it (not for free of course.
but i just dont really trust them) they said they will redo the belt but they want money
directly id like to take it back to the shop before i give them anymore
money. total bill is about 900 and they have recieved 500 previously. i just dont want to
pay them off or give them anymore money until i know for sure the job is done because
i dont feel as if they will fix it if they have what they want. any advice? i paid 125 for
the shop to tell me the timing was off and i know for a fact im not giving these guys the
45 for that diagnosis. should i take the 125 off of what i owe them? i really hate to have
to go to court but i dont want the short end of the stick.

I personally would not have the shop that did all that shoddy work ever touch my car again. For the amount of money you are talking about, $400, bringing in lawyers and court fees is not worth it for you or them. See if you can avoid paying that extra , negotiate and or lower it. First tip off they were trouble was the money you have to owe up front. and being without your car for weeks is crazy. Have your regular shop fix it properly and chalk up this experience to a lesson learned.

thats my gut feeling. to take it to my regular shop and chalk it up. but do i pay the remainder of the bill which is 400 making that a total of 900.(because they apparently did my head gasket without mistakes) im not going to take them to court bc id like to just chalk it up to a lesson learned but i wonder if theyd take me if they dont get their money. not that i would have to worry about too much considering i have my shops statement and can take pictures/saved all conversations that were through text to prove my side of the story and reciepts. but its a hassle. but why should i give them the full amount for a job not done? timing belt is not done and they insist they stand by their work and that my regular shop is ripping me off/lying. my shop showed me the belt off by 2 teeth and showed me the cover they poorly installed back on causing damage in return. all of that stuff. just at a loss.. i dont trust them to correct their mistake. esp since they dont believe there is one. but i really hate to give them anymore money if its not going to be completed. i can cut my losses and not deduct the money i spent to get the second opinion but im just so angry and fed up that i do not want to pay them unless they correct the problem. like i said i dont want them to do anymore work to my car/no where near it.. but feeling like i have to atleast try to allow them to attempt to correct this. otherwise id end up paying them the full amount and the full amount on a timing belt job elsewhere. (pretty sure the labor is combined for the head gasket and belt but maybe not) so frustrating.

not about the money but the principal...

i know youre exactly right though. just disappointed.