My 1993 Chevy S10 2WD pickup will start and go about 10 or 12 miles, then if I have to stop at a red light it wants to die and will not start again for quite a while. My roommate changed the fuel filter and said that it was really bad. It got new spark plugs, not very expensive ones, and a new fuel pump 2 years ago and spark plugs about 12,000 miles ago. About 1.5 years ago, I think it was the coil pack going to the distributor had to be replaced. An independent mechanic said it's out of time and I should have it tested ($75.00) to see if it's the distributor or timing chain. My uneducated guess is it's more of a distributor problem. Also, it will start in the morning, but if I make a couple of stops, it won't start until it has sat for up to a few hours.

Asked by Apr 03, 2014 at 03:12 PM

415

I've had a similar problem with a car where you stop and go to start the car and it wont start for a hour or so then it will start, that problem was the starter, cause the windings eventually burn out in the starter, and once it cools down a bit the windings contracted a bit and will work again. You can test the starter by taking it out then rotating the spline then reinstalling it, when the problem occurs again, If it starts again its the starter. For the stalling problem it could need a tune up...