I'm 33 weeks pregnant and my car is infected with third hand smoke and I'm concerned for the health and safety of my unborn child, I was wondering if it could be cleaned or if I should find a new car

Asked by Mar 29, 2014 at 05:49 AM

If it's possible to thoroughly clean it
how would I go about getting that
done and if it's not then how do I find
a used car that hasn't been smoked
in?

10,795

You can purchase upholstery cleaner and spray the carpets, seats, door panels, etc.. and scrub them down. Once a car is smoked in, it is difficult the get the smell out. Gets into the vents. Not really a health concern, just a nuisance.

10,795

Finding a car that hasn't been smoked in is a hit or miss type scenario. Dealers won't list the vehicle as being smoked in or not. Private sellers sometimes do.

228,285

I agree with Mark. I suggest a far as having the car professional cleaned, before you decide to sell it.

32,865

By chance dose your car have a cabin air filter? If so change that also.

21,325

ok- the smoke smell is pervasive- and dangerous to you and your baby- (of course being in traffic is dangerous too)- but as far as the second hand smell goes, it is hard to get rid of it- you would only be covering it up with toxic cleaning chemicals and the headliner is the major culprit- and nobody ever cleans those- with the new baby just start over with another car- you can tell if it has been smoked in just by giving it the nose test- a brand new car is not a good idea as the plastic inside takes a year, at least, to "off gas"- hate to tell you, but cars are pretty much environmental nightmares