what is the "reputation score" tagged to certain posters on this site? how does one earn reputation on the site?

20

Asked by Jan 01, 2014 at 11:02 AM

101,535

You get reputation points by people marking your answers helpful or best answer. The more points means more people have been helped.

56,715

It's also an indicator of how many "good" answers the poster gives. For example if someone asks the question "why is my car leaking oil?" And I answer "maybe you have a flat tire" that's not going to be a good answer. So nobody is going to click the "helpful answer" icon on my post. But if I put "maybe your oil drain plug or oil filter is bad" it's very possible that may be what's causing the poster's oil leak. So people will click the "helpful answer" icon and I'll earn 10 reputation points. If the original poster feels my answer is better than anyone else's answer they might click the "best answer" icon on my post earning me 20 reputation points. HTH. -Jim

But it is flawed, both dandyoun and Jim know more than I do but I am ahead in 'reputation'...it's certainly NOT a perfect system, proof is in the pudding right by what I just wrote. For example Toyota cars are my 'area', especially Corolla, those cars I know. But those guys,dandyoun and Jim... and Tom, tennisshoes, Judge Roy and others, know more in general than me. There is also a misleading thing, sometimes folks will say "Thank you Mark' because it looks like every question is answered by a non- existent guy with username "Mark helpful"

101,535

You are to modest my friend.

One time there was a lady on the 405 Freeway in LA, and anybody that has driven on Interstate 405 knows what a nightmare that is, she bumped a K-rail, just hard enough to deploy her inertia fuel cut-off switch that Fords have..her Explorer. She had some kind of 'smart-phone' and found CarGurus and was desperate, her Explorer would not start, she is on the shoulder and asked 'why won't my car start?" ...I just happened to see her question come up and answered in less than 5 minutes. I explained how to pull the carpet back and push the red button, her Explorer started right up. That sort of thing is why I even come to this site. She even offered to send me money but of course I declined. I will never forget that one. That is what this site is all about.

56,715

Thank you for the kind words David. The fact that you've been on here very long, and have a very high score speaks volumes. I think we all have our "niche" in the automotive world. For you it's Toyota and for me it's GMs. That's why this is such a great site. But they all have a lot in common as far as what makes them "go". -Jim

20

Thanks, guys! I am curious if someone can mark their own answer as helpful to accumulate more reputation points?

No. Not that I know of anyway.

Well beat me with a stick. I just signed off and with not being signed in I was able to give myself that 10 points. I didn't know that could be done but those points on my "no" answer is obviously wrong, that 'helpful' click was my own and shouldn't count but in the big picture it's really kinda moot

these points are quite meaningless....that a guru can suggest a part that'd fix it and put them in touch with the source...and a nice picture of it, makes the difference...it shows that you in fact did some research and could speak with authority on the availability of THAT part~...guess that's worth ten points...twenty if that exact puzzle piece completed the mission at hand~

You're right...there should be a "mark HURTfull" button as well...as a matter of fact there's a little gear with hole in the middle in it where you can note where someone is inappropriate or offensive...but this does not SUBTRACT the points...managements scores these...ONE might think~

I tend to mark everyone who's present...and has something to bring to the table HELPFUL just because they are with the scene~...hipsters...all~!

Hey longhorns66, would like to see your smilin' face or vehicle up there as your avatar...you should add your ride, and any other rides that you've had in the past (love my '59 salmon colored pontiac and the '61 Cadillac...and the Mercedes 230S with two carbs and the "kuhlmeister"...you've a favorite or perhaps current vehicle that you'd like to RAVE about....it'd be good for twenty points....soon you'll be the top guru...easy 'nuff, just research and answer everyone's car problems...'taint but a thing~

101,535

Well davidh25 that surely makes the points even more pointless. Seems that they would have had it set up so that only users that are signed in could mark answers helpful.

Jim too, man can't you give us something at least? have asked Tom Deyman to wear a cargurus cap....dandyoun just could not get it framed right...7Jimmy7 wants to but is not on this site....there are the "dirty dozen"...can appeal to Henry_S for another one please...as part of the Cambridge public radio station "Freebie" cargurus is trying to be heard in this world....thanks to management for NOT having animated Gif's in the thinking area...is like not taking your shoes off when entering a temple~....jif you were one of the dirty dozen, Jim put that cap on your head and show a little "TEAM pride~"~

101,535

Better look quick

see dandy...not that it has to be as "one of the troop" uniform, but am glad to see your smilin' face out here...it shows courage...would like to see what racer_X looks like he ain't been "on duty" in a while~

DavidH25 is only wearing it out of spite....because I signed on and had my avatar removed....by mistake is what it was according to Lisa (wraw-wraw) there~....and was mad enough to complain to David, who's reaction was "let's see if they F#%6 with me on this point~....and alas, it WAS a mistake...trigger happy fools~

I can't figure out who that is on Tom's avatar...appears to be a "Simpsons" drawing art style, but can't pinpoint who. Mysterious Tom...good guy

The guys that search for copyrighted images or whatever reason to delete them are farmed out, off site. Every image I have ever had removed was for "inappropriate language"...no other reason and I certainly do not use any sort of profanity or obscenity..ever...at least when captioning an image. I have used the 's' word on occasion in posts , but never ever the 'f'' word..and I don't mean Ford.

I always get by these "copyrighted image" things by simply taking a picture of the screen...how they gonna catch up to that...especially when the camera "tweaks" the image because it's broken and the automatic lens cover don't work so gets all dusty and changes the image slightly...so there Mr. copyright nazi's~

...had a very similar experience with an '87 blazer...through an hour worth of back-and-forth found the three magic buttons inside the glovebox....was delighted to have learned of their existence...saved the broad the mechanic's price....she was happy, I was happy, but it took a full days work of pullin' this and that item off the web to come up with the answer...THAT wasn't easy, but feel really very good about things now~

210,255

Judge, that's my self portrait simpsonized. That's as close as your going to get. Hee.

210,255

Happy New Year everyone!

And A happy New Year back at ya Tom!

2014 the year of a scheme, when all of the Gurus will be a team, mean and lean, answer like fiends, and all will be clean, fix your machine, and take some protein, for brain power gene, synapses are keen. Impromptu.

210,255

I'm ready for the mayhem.

....snap....~ DavidH25...struttin' with some barbecue~