just put a new thermostat in my 02 olds intrigue...why does it still over heat?

Asked by Sep 11, 2013 at 05:08 AM

So i tried running the heater to cool it down but it
blows out cool air. What else could cause this
ovetheating

The coolant is not circulating, clogged radiator or bad water pump most likely, since you already did thermostat. With radiator full, open drain and see if it drains, if the coolant just stays in radiator or drains very slowly the cores are plugged. A flush might work. Maybe remove bottom hose and see if it drains, if not then for SURE it's clogged, it should flow through as fast as you can put it in, When you get water to freely flow through..... and fill with EG antifreeze and distilled water, 50/50 if it still overheats then time to look at pump. I don't know if yours has a weep hole on the bottom, but if it does and coolant is coming out, the water pump is kaput

20,925

is your cooling fan coming on when the engine reaches operating temperature?