On my '92 Ford Festiva I get a code reading of Code 18. This number is not listed in my service /shop manual. Can someone please tell me what Code 18 is on my little car?? Thank you very much!

Asked by Sep 01, 2013 at 02:34 AM

Well, I thought I asked and entered my question already.  I can add, though, that the car
totally quit one evening, towed home, and I've replaced the Mass Air Flow Sensor, Spark
plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, air filter, fuel filter, and in attempting to start it, it
turns over almost as if nothings wrong, comes VERY close to starting, but does not, fuel
is fresh.  This motor is fuel injected, and I've put a pint of injector cleaner in the tank also.

18 (KOER) Check base timing & advance function. (Mem) Ignition TACH signal erratic.

Sounds like you have jumped time or timing belt has broke. How many miles since your timing belt was replaced? Have you inspected the timing belt? That's where I would start.

Run a compression test. If all cylinders test very low you've jumped timing, as others have said. HTH. -Jim

Thank you guys. I will advise my friend helping me of these answers, and now that you ALL mention it, it makes absolute sense. (To dandoun: In the 4 years or so I've had this car I've probably put 100,000k (at least) on it and NEVER have replaced it! I will keep you posted, and again THANKS!

Glad we could help.