o9 HHR camshaft sensor location 2.2 motor

Asked by Jun 29, 2013 at 10:03 AM

2009 HHR 2.2 does not have a cam position sensor. I went through that a couple days ago, let me see if I can find the explanation

Okay, I am confused. I found several threads that say it does not have a cam position sensor, but can still throw a code for it. The 2.2 has a "waste spark" that the coil will ignite the spark plug in the TDC of the exhaust stroke. Then I found this, supposed to be 2.2..click image 725 circled in red

This may interest you if yours is throwing some of the codes listed. http://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?p=345310#post345310

HHR 2.2 engine doesn't use a cam sensor. I know, then how could there be a code for the cam sensor? Well, The electronic ignition (EI) module supplies a signal to the PCM whenever it determines that the #4 cylinder fired on its compression stroke. Because of opposite coil tower polarity, the simultaneous firing of #1 and #4 cylinders are of opposite polarity as well. Under most conditions, except deceleration, the waste spark cylinder fires before the compression cylinder in sequence. The EI module can determine this polarity sequence and voltage amplitude by using capacitive pickup plates located under the 1/4 coil. If the module senses a positive to negative sequence and high negative spike when #4 is on TDC, it pulls the PCM cam signal to ground signaling that #4 has just fired on compression. This signal along with the double pulse received from the CKP sensor, synchronizes spark and fuel timing.

Ahhh...dandyoun to the rescue. I looked at that and I suggest you do so Scott.

Best Answer

Hope it helps him. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Lol.

Luther Vaughn

2009 hhr 2.2 does have a camshaft position sensor too because I put several in