First car

Asked by May 24, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I'm going to get my first car this year and I
can't choose between a 1977 Impala with a
350 engine with a 700 R4 four speed
automatic transmission. The car is fully
restored. Or should I get a new but used car
like a 2004 - 2007 car

755

This is one of those questions that is harder to answer than you might think. My first suggestion, and maybe the first thing to think about is: Do you plan to maintain the vehicle yourself, or by a shop? Many shops still exist that perform routine maintenance on older vehicles, while even more, are upgrading their shops to work on the new, computerized cars. So, you'll have no problem finding someone to work on either vehicle, but you will pay a premium for a classic vehicle, not just for parts, but for the experience and the technical skills. If you plan to do the work yourself, aquiring parts for a popular vehicle like an Impala shouldn't be difficult, but paying for them might be. Do some research on the cost of regular maintenance items: filters, wipers; then go deeper and see what a radiator costs, a starter, an alternator.. etc. Good luck!

Best Answer Mark helpful

if you are a cautious slow driver would keep the American beauty alive and cherish every moment you still have together~

I had a 1959 salmon colored Pontiac...man what a swell car, only 60,000 miles on the original engine and Jet-a-way transmission----one day, downtown a dude comin' out of the Gym ran a red light and smashed into the rear quarter...saw the yellow light and gunned it, never got to the brake....the best car ever taken away in a rental inrresponsible driver's hands.....got $50 after the lawyer took his money----so, best not to get attached to any one car...no matter how special...best to have your "beauty" in the garage where it cannot be hurt, but a marvel to enjoy with the boys when they come around~

20

go with the 77 impala and enjoy it!! the insurance is cheaper (go to haggerty collector ins) since this car is fully restored make sure it was by a qualified restorer. also put the antique tags on it, a one time deal, maintail it and keep that oil and filter and lube done on regular basis. also you can still find the books and owners manuel on the car. some are reproduced, but that is ok. good luck my friend. robert

72,435

The question to ask yourself is: Am I really an old car person? My Nephew thought he was until he got his first car at age 17. It was a 1985 Pontiac Firebird. Because it was not fuel injected he didn't even know how to start it!! There's a procedure for both cold and hot starting on a carbureted engine. Are you willing/ able to wait days or weeks for a part? Are you mechanically inclined? You'll need to be. You'll need to be able to at least diagnose a problem then tell the shop what's wrong and how to fix it. I've been through this many times in my life. I've always had an old car in addition to a new or late model daily driver. Old cars are great!! But know what you're getting into. Something as simple as an ignition timing adjustment might be impossible if you can't find someone who knows the proper procedure and how to use a timing light. Also, get a factory shop manual. Try ebay or Faxon Auto Literature. On an old car this is a must have. Also consider gas prices. A '77 Impala with a V8 350 will probably get 12 to 15 MPG around town. A newer car upwards from 20 MPG. Good luck on your first car. Hope you get many miles of enjoyment from it!! HTH. - Jim