Are most dealers really dishonest or what?

5

Asked by May 04, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I have been searching for a used Avalon and have found a high percentage of the
Avalons are listed as Limited models when they are not.  When adv of the error most
dealers have failed to correct the error and/or insist they are right.  All you have to do is
look for the push button start/key-fob and the type of alloy wheels...

210,445

Some might be, but the bulk of them are just trying to get your money. So that's why you have to be an informed buyer and it seems your on the right track. Plus most salesman don't even have a clue on what they are selling half the time. Your best bet is to steer clear of the 3rd rate car dealers and stick with the dealerships or local garages that sell cars after they recondition them. They never guarantee the information in the ads anyway, as most are copies of old ones to save time.

Best Answer
89,935

Read these articles to better handle the dealers when the time comes - http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/

24,115

I wouldn't go as far as to say that MOST Dealers are flat-out dishonest As was stated before, definitely AVOID (like the plague) any of those low-rent small auto sales lots (and obviously the "Buy Here-Pay Here" places as well). My 2 recent used car purchases were from well-established large dealerships. There are 2 notable exceptions though....There are 2 specialty type Dealerships where I live in the Phila. PA/NJ areas that sell ONLY 2-3 year old off-lease exceptional vehicles (Car Sense and Auto Lenders)...I bought a used '06 Volvo S40 from Car Sense and was very happy...so, if you have similar type of Dealers, I'd recommend checking them out as well....Also, definitely get a FREE Car Fax from the Dealer's website or Dealer itself (if they can't/won't provide it...don't bother with them). The VIN# from the CarFax Report should verify the trim level and help you avoid scenarios like you've been experiencing. Best of Luck to you!

****Tom pegged it.*** I don't know what to add except they will lie to you with a straight face. Some of them anyway.. But all those answers are good ...CARFAX...!!!

5

Thanks all for your input and links. I believe your advice will help me and others...