2001 crown vic 4.6 cracked around thermostat housing lookd like plastic how bad is it

155

Asked by Apr 27, 2013 at 05:54 PM

38 in crack on upper part of the housing facing radiator.  wonder it a relly good marine tex repair and a weak springed thermostat will work?

99,235

I see two housings on RockAuto.com under $20. Just get a new housing and forget repairing a brittle plastic part. They should have the parts at your local store.

99,235

2001 FORD CROWN VICTORIA 4.6L V8 CNG : Cooling System : Thermostat Housing / Water Outlet

155

thanks tensspeed but now he thinks it the plastic intake manifold. ???

155

see if this will help

155

here is a close up, sorry

155

please advise....we aren't quite the expert as you are and thank you so much btw!!

99,235

Now that there are pictures, it does look like a plastic manifold. I would attempt a repair with the marine tex (epoxy). Clean up the area with a small wire or nylon brush. Rough it up with some sandpaper. Make a patch out of some heavy cloth like denim or flannel (it acts like fiberglass). Coat the patch with epoxy and hold it in place with a couple of hose clamps. The clamps become part of the repair so coat them with any extra epoxy. --- If that fails, RockAuto has new ones for $150. You probably can find one for less at a scrap yard or eBay. 2001 FORD CROWN VICTORIA 4.6L V8 : Engine : Intake Manifold

155

awesome.....one problem, we got anxious, called an olllllddddd trucker friend and he said use JB Weld epoxy. V notched the inside, cleaned with acetone, then used the JB Weld for the repair. I sure do hope this will get it. Thank you sooooo much for your help!!!!

10

Hi,I need to know if that repair you did to your crown vic with the jb weld/epoxy worked. I have the same car same problem. Someone just sold me the top part instead of what i needed and now being told have to buy the whole big part. I had already suggested that it might be able to be fixed with jb weld but the guy didn't know if it would work. Don't want to blow up this car so parked it,as it started to have symptoms like dying while i was driving.Why can't just that black part be found and replaced? Why the whole big part it sits on? So anyways,did the JB Weld work out? My regular email is womanofthemullet@aol.com - yes i know :) as I am afraid i will not be able to find my way back here to this site but will try. Thank you so much. Tara