I just bought a storage building with a 97 mustang gt automatic in it... Woohoo for that lol didnt know what was in it and paid 650 for the building so definately got my moneys worth, but anyways ive tried to start it and nothing, battery in car is a new interstate battery and try to start again.. Just clicks once so i changed the starter and then it clicks like 5 times sometimes.. Side note the driver side door is open everytime i try to start it and when i close the door and try to start it the alarm goes off?? I dont have a electric door unlocker just the key so i was thinking maybe the alarm system is still locked or something and wont turn the car over... Anybody any ideas please help

Asked by Apr 17, 2013 at 04:47 PM

If you bought a storage unit at auction, from non payment of the rent by the renter of the storage unit, before you spend a dime on it check the laws in your State about cars in storage units bought at auction. You still have to deal with getting the title and laws vary from different States, in Calif. car parts, cars with no engine, are all yours, But a complete car is a different thing. You may not be allowed to even keep it. Now I may be misunderstanding alltogether and you bought from a building from somebody not at public auction on private property, then all that is moot and it's yours.

It was a private car auction, they had a different car in each storage room, whoever won got the title and the key, i have the title key and car so its all mine im just trying to get it started

Then I was off base. Sorry 'bout that I thought you meant a unit with unknown contents.

90,025

Who knows how long the car was in there. Give the battery a good overnight charge. See if the battery holds a charge. Squirt some starting fluid in the intake to see if it fires. If you have ignition, try to remove the old gas and add fresh fuel. After it's running, change all fluids. -- Not all cars in storage units are there because they are perfect. Sometimes they are broken, too good to scrap and too much to fix.

I charged the battery for 24 hrs and it holds a 12 volt charge, i changed all fluids , oils and gas, changed the starter and tried to jump the car, it jus clicks once , all lights work and everything but its not turning the flywheel at all to even attempt to start it, maybe engine might be locked up or blown fuses or somethin idk

56,795

Good call David, I was gonna say the same thing until I read the second post. See if you can determine about how long the car has been sitting. Look at the inspection sticker, if it has one still. Look for an old registration in the glove box, spare change in the ashtrays, etc. If it's been sitting for many years you may be looking at an engine rebuild. Remove all the spark plugs & spray fogging oil in each cylinder. Then try to turn the engine by hand (spark plugs still removed). If the engine spins freely then check for spark. Again, if the car has been sitting along time you'll need to drop the gas tank & have it cleaned. Then check for fuel delivery to the engine. HTH. -Jim

Inspection goes out 3/13 so it just went out, ill try removing and replacing the plugs and see where im at then

56,795

Good deal. Yes, keep us posted. Good luck! -Jim

210,495

That alarm system might be preventing it from starting. You might have to disable or remove it. That isn't my expertise, so maybe someone else can comment.

I just got done taking the alarm system out and changing the battery wire harness and it fired right up... I was extremely suprised when it started wasnt expecting it to be that loud lol got underneath it and its got a full bassani exhaust lol longtube , x pipe and catback.... Id say i definately got my 700 bucks i spent out of the car... Thanks for all the help guys

56,795

That's awesome! Thank you for letting us know! Good luck with your new treasure!! -Jim