Cone filter argument

Asked by Apr 12, 2013 at 06:53 AM

Hey I hope this is the right place to ask.
My friend and I continuously argue about wether a cone filter makes a car limit. He says it does and I say no...
Please advise and possible links

210,835

cone filter makes a car limit?

210,835

Do you want to know the advantages/disadvantages to a cone filter vs the stock panel air filter? There is no real advantage. Cone filters are only at a disadvantage when they are installed in the engine bay with no baffling/covered to bring in cool outside air. The way they are installed in the engine bay, they are bringing in hot air, which is not very efficient.

Not only is this the right place to ask but you hit the jackpot when Tom fielded your question

but still don't know what you mean by "limit"?? Limit what? Performance?

Ok what i mean is does a cone filter made your car revs limit(redline).

90,125

A cone filter does not limit the revs. The ECU does. The ECU limits the RPMs to around 4000 in neutral, at red line in gear and limits the top speed of the vehicle. --- A cone filter is larger than the air intake pipe. If anything to do with air intake limited the RPM's, it would be the smallest opening which is the throttle body.

Best Answer

Agreed, the answer to your original question is No. Fr3 you win the debate with your friend, now you have tenspeed also..and between those two guys your question has been answered accurately. Guaranteed. Or double your money back.

Thanks very much everyone. Appropriate all the answers and input. Thanks Tom, David and tenspeed...