is there a way to test the starter

Asked by Apr 07, 2013 at 07:08 PM

89,925

First you test to see if the starter is getting the electrical signal to fire the solenoid. Put a meter on the small wire on the starter. Make sure the gear lever is in park or neutral. Set it to DC Volts, turn the key to "Start". You should have around 12 volts if you fuse, ignition switch, neutral safety or clutch switch & starting relay are good. --- If you're not getting the signal, find out why.

89,925

If you have no signal and still want to see if the starter spins - run a jumper wire from the battery to the small wire on the starter. Make sure the car is not in gear like you did before. When you touch the wire to the battery, the starter will engage is it's good.

89,925

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGem9YsjCRQ

89,925

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKjdnQ0sHQc