1996 DODGE RAM 1500 4x4 5.2 L v8

Asked by Jan 11, 2013 at 11:07 PM

my 1996 dodge ram 1500 has multiple issues and i need advice i have replaced fuel pump water pump ignition coil fuel lines. my truck died a month ago and didnt want to start then today i turned the ignition and low and behold it turned on. I was driving it around to charge the battery about and hour the i was literally 2 blocks from home and it died didnt want to start earlier i checked the error code using the on off method (there is no diag. port) it gave me a code of "12" which according to my truck manual which is a HAYNES it said that error code "12" means that {problem with battery connection. Direct battery input to PCM disconnected with in the last 50 ignition key on cycles} but when my truck died 2 blocks from home. My check engine light wouldnt even turn on but the engine turns over and just doesnt catch a few people i know (mechanics the shade tree type think its the ignition switch in my column any suggestions?

Sorry for the misspellings i am extremely pissed and i love this truck best one o ever had and i used to be a ford man (not no more)

It is a bit odd that after a month it suddenly decided to start and run. But I lean to agree with the shade tree mechanics, of which I am one, that it could be the ignition switch, but that is a BIG maybe...it does really make me lean to electrical as opposed to a fuel issue, check and see if you have spark at all, a nice blue spark that is, you can do it the old fashion way with a screwdriver seein' as how it does not have a diagnostic port, go from there

20

Replace your Battery! --- I had the same problem, and replaced a lot of parts that where a maybe situation solution. Then went and bought a battery with over 1,000 cranking amps and --- No More Problems! I even went back and put my old parts back on, just to see if the Battery was the solution so I can take the new parts back and get my money. The System ECM will put the truck in default and the PCM will not receive the info needed from the ECM and the truck will run for sometimes as long as 2-3 blocks or even more then die, even when hitting the brake or slowing down to stop by letting off the accelerator can cause this to happen. but overall it would start and idle. Hope this helps, if not email me. jake howe @ yahoo dot com sorry watching for these internet bots that send you crap in email.

20

sorry I ment jake howe 2004 @ yahoo dot com

10

@ jake howe 2004. i have a 98 ram 1500 that lost power when i put a timeing light on it i could not get it to regester on the markes.after replacing the timing chain the only way it starts is to take out the fuil pump relay. after its running and you plug it back in it dies instantly. but if you unplug again it will start right back up a friend said my ecm. what do you think?

i have a ram 1500 that has been rolled and still runs like a champ the only think that happened to it the roof of the cab caved in and broke the back light