1989 mercedez benz vs. 2002 vw beetle if prices the same. Which one to buy?

Asked by Jan 10, 2013 at 09:31 AM

210,455

It's a personal decision. Don;t purchase a vehicle on price alone. What are you using it for, how much do you want to spend in maintanience and upkeep?

1,405

Also, a 1989 Mercedes WHAT? There are MANY different models! Are you looking at 2 door Mercedes vs the 3 door Beetle or a Convertible Mercedes vs a Convertible Beetle. A 1989 Mercedes has most likely reached it depreciation point and is now simply a used vehicle to most, unlike the Beetle that still has a few years to go till its depreciation cycle is complete. That being said, if the Mercedes is low mileage, excellent condition has all books and records showing it was maintained by Mercedes recommendations then it might actually be appreciating, especially if its a Rare 560SEC Coupe or 190D DIesel or Turbo Diesel that are in high demand. As stated above, you have buy the vehicle that you actually like best and suits your needs best. If you have a good, reputable independent mechanic shop either the VW and Mercedes can be maintained reasonably, parts and service isn't always more expensive for a 1989 Mercedes than other vehicles, and VW service and parts are NOT cheap either like they were decades ago. Look to see what maintenance and repairs has and has NOT been done on either vehicle to give you a better picture of what you can expect in the future during your ownership that will need attention.