whats the typer of payment for cars? credit or pay all at once?

Asked by Aug 03, 2012 at 04:47 AM

251,505

Both, whatever you prefer, or a combination. Of course it also depends on if you qualify for a loan.

I'm not sure I understand your question 100%, but if you mean if you should you buy a car and make payments or pay cash out-the-door? Pay for it if you have the money. About the lowest interest you are going to get is maybe 6% and that is even with a c-score of 800 or so, not counting the special promotions manufacturers sometimes offer. Say, arbitrarily the car cost $20k. You will pay close to $26...27k at BEST by the time 48 or 60 months goes by. Not to mention salesmen will even give you a better deal to begin with if you have cash. It's NOT like a house where your money is earning more than the mortgage interest. My opinion is PAY FOR IT! I got 6,25% and my credit is good, not 800 but real good. and try to use a credit Union and not a bank. Early in the loan, if say your payment is $350, the first few payments are $225 principal and $125 interest..in a single month.

I was writing at the same time as Tom...and Tom makes a good point. A combination, and remember what he said, if you qualify. The lower the score the higher the interest.

Off topic a little but Many years ago I bought a used car and the salesman told me they carry their own contracts, and I would pay 4.5%. But just before I signed, I saw a decimal point that had me at 45%. He said "oh, sorry, my mistake but I call BS. Watch out for that.