Could I get like a really detailed answer on how an engine works?

Asked by Dec 04, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Please if u could just explain how it works and how some modifications work to make a car faster and why some are illegal and such

7,515

They write many really REALLY long books on this subject if you really want to know. If you can give me a more specific question I can answer it or hopefully find it in a really REALLY long book :-D.... FYI most illegal mods are illegal due to safety or environmental concerns. Most engine mods generate higher levels of NOx or other toxic emissions, and if they don't they haven't gone through proper testing to prove they don't.

125

This is certainly not in great detail but if you really don't know anything you have to start with some of the basics The average car (excluding, hybrids, electric cars, diesels, etc) uses what is called an internal combustion engine, that runs on gas. this means it runs of a number of controlled explosions that happen within the engine. At this point i hate to be lame and just send you a link, but i don't think i could explain it any better that this: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine1.htm How stuff works is a great resource for learning the basics of how a car works. it explains thing clearly and it is easy to understand. So you have the 4 strokes, Intake, compression, power and exhaust. That is turned into rotational force. the shaft attached, and getting tuned by the piston, is called the crankshaft (P on the diagram) . the crank shaft runs the length of the engine emerging in both the front and the back of the engine. the 'back' of the crank shaft is what eventually makes the car move. the 'front' of the crank powers the belts. There are two types of belts, accessory belts, and a timing belts. any car may have more that one accessory belt, but, to my knowledge, only one timing belt. The accessory belt runs accessory's important to the operation of the car, but not directly important to the basic operation of the engine. The timing belt is the really important one, it transfers rotational force from the crankshaft to the: Camshaft: Shown on the how stuff works diagram as I, this shaft open and closes the valves, which allow oxygen in and exhaust out. Distributer: this is what decides when the spark pug should activate to combust the fuel. (however this is basically obsolete on new cars, now its just a computer that decides that) Both of these things need to be in time with the pistons movement for the engine to run. Hence 'Timing belt) And that's how the very basic on how you engine turns gas into rotational force. If I were you I would explore how stuff works more. If you have question let me know.

285

There are way waayyyyy too many things to know. If I were you I'd buy a textbook. If you dont have a clue at all about how cars work, it'll be a really long read that will keep you hopefully entertained for a very long time.