Pickup trucks vs. cars

3,275

Asked by Jan 28, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Just for starters, this isn't just about speed.  It is about overall capability, performance, reliability, durability, efficiency, and any other comparisons we can come up with.

7,565

They should be used for work alone... Bad on gas... Bad driving on streets with any poor weather conditions... Poor ride quality... I've never noticed any significant difference in reliability, my guess is anyone who thinks they are more reliable has never carried more than a small tool box. overall capability it looses... It has only one use that it performs better at. performance... Not even going to dignify that reliability... about even footing durability... a bit redundant... Well actually I geuss this would be resistance to denting and rust... Don't seem many plastic paneled trucks, and most have scratched paint and rust if they have spent anytime doing what they are meant for. efficiency... Eats dead dinosaurs practicality... Unless you regularly haul hundreds of pounds or extra large loads, it's not practical. You gotta run out and grab a gallon of milk? You'll have to spend just as much on the damn gas to go get it. They are geared to be efficient with load not unloaded. They are designed to carry weight in the back so the suspension is unbalanced if you don't. Are there exceptions, trucks designed strictly for street use? Yes, they are few and far between, and then they are pure shit at their intended purpose compared to real trucks. Once again definition of truck..."an automotive vehicle suitable for hauling "

2,050

I agree 100%. There were however a few vehicles classified as "TRUCKS" that were actually fairly "cool!" The Ford RANCHERO and Chevy EL CAMINO were both rather cool and fast! In particular the 1969 SS 396 version! The GMC SYCLONE and TYPHOON were real tough! That turbo/intercooled 3.8 was a beast! Then the Dodge SRT 10 was a monster! The problem with it was affordability. The rest of them are just a TOOL used for hauling cargo. There are no cool or practical Trucks anymore.