changing layouts

445

Asked by Sep 07, 2008 at 01:03 PM

I was wondering if it is possible to convert a car with automatic transmission floor shift to a column shift with
automatic transmission. If it is possible, will it be alot of work? I have always wondered this for a long time. will it
also require taking apart the whole car? thanks for your time.

85

think about what you asked!!!!!! automatic to automatic lets see DUHHHHHHHHH, if you can buy a floor shifter for a steering wheel shifter than im sure you can buy a new column with a shifter and add your steering wheel

445

oy vey. you don't have to be rude about it. I was just wondering if it would be alot of work to undergo the process. The reason why I asked is because I asked someone I know if its possible to do that and they said it would be alot of work because you would have to change tthe transmission, steering column, and the settings around it. so I asked cargurus and then you come in and reply to me rudely. I don't know much about cars ya know. I only know makes & models. But anyways, thank you for replying. BTW I am a forgiving person so I forgive you. I am only 14. Don't expect a 14 year old to know about transmissions.

85

ya well i am 15 just turned so dont think young ppl dont no about cars and transmissions, and im sorry about being rude tho i didnt mean for it to come out like tht ive just seen some stupid questions and then i replied to yours

8,375

It depends on the linkage type and if a column shifter is available or usable... If it is a cable linkage then it's a matter of getting the linkage geometry right... If it has solid/rod linkage you may not get enough throw from a column shifter and you'll have to fabricate a lever arm to increase the travel distance... This is assuming you get a column shifter designed with cable linkage, most are but there are always exceptions... Either way you'll have to machine some brackets to hold your linkage, and getting it perfect will be difficult as hell. The better question is why would you want to do this? It'd be hours of work and a decent amount of money for tooling if you don't posses it already for something that'll be less reliable than what you started with. It'd be just about as easy to build an electro-pneumatic shift assembly with toggle switches on the wheel. At least then you're fishing wires and not cables.... I mean as long as you're going through the trouble of fabricating brackets, you might as well go big, granted that's more expensive... Anyway now that I'm done rambling, I'll just remind you DO NOT do it. It's not going to be reliable and you have an automatic apparently, so why would reaching down when you start the car be much harder than reaching over? Either way good luck with it, no matter what you decide to do.

445

its perfectly fine. thanks for the apology. I accept it. I really do know lots about cars. I almost know every make and model around the world. I just don't know much about transmissions and engines. my name is also Josh. hehe

445

well I'm not really going to do it. I just wanted to know if its possible. but what I didn't know is if its gonna be reliable. Now that I didn,t know. I just want to thank you for answering my questions. your answers are really helpful. THNX

445

your answers are really helpful. THNX