Sales tax exemption for active duty military


Asked by Dave Dec 29, 2019 at 08:33 AM

Question type: Shopping & Pricing

How do I get the Tennessee vehicle sales tax exemption for active duty military, if I purchase the car in another state?  Can it be deferred to when I title the car in TN?

4 Answers

If this is the policy in Tennessee all you should have to do is show the dealer your proof of service but it would not hurt to go to the TN DMV website and print out the exemption to show them.

2 people found this helpful.

If I buy a car in another state, would I have to pay state sales tax there, or can I show proof of military assignment in TN to get the exemption?

1 people found this helpful.

When buying a vehicle out of your home State you do not pay sales tax at the time of purchase. You pay sales tax to your home State when you do the title transfer and register the vehicle. If you are tax exempt then you will not pay sales tax in your home State of Tennessee when you title and register the vehicle there. Hope that helps! Jim

1 people found this helpful.

Your Answer:

Own this car?

Share your experience with others.

CarGurus Experts

  • #1
    Bob Beaman
  • #2
    james sparrow
  • #3
View All

Know more, shop wisely


Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use. Content will be removed if CarGurus becomes aware that it violates our policies.