can someone troubleshoot this

Asked by Mar 14, 2012 at 05:45 PM about the Dodge Ramcharger

i took my 78 dodge d-100 to the tranny shop for filter and lube replacement .the next morning it slipped so bad it would hardly move.after about 5 min. it works fine.when it cools for a couple of hours it slips again.fluid is full.

Since all they did was change the fluid/filter then you likely have a fluid quantity issue. The problem you are discribing in the context of your description is a torque converter that is lacking enough fluid to operate properly. On the 727 the fluid passage is blocked when the transmission is in park...to fill the torque converter to proper operating levels when the case has low quantity you need to put the transmission in neutral for a brief warm up period. Checking the level on a 727 needs to be done with the transmission in neutral and the vehicle idling. Make sure and fill the transmission to proper level (not over or under). With a torque converter that is slipping due to lack of fluid it doesn't take long to burn up all of the friction plate material.