My key is stuck in the ignition and won't turn back. there is no power. Jump start didn't work! 2002 Trailblazer LTZ

80

Asked by Sep 26, 2014 at 07:25 PM about the Chevrolet TrailBlazer

I have a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer. She's pushing 265,000 miles and haven't had any major issues, til now. My key is in the on position and won't turn either way. It has now powerso I opted to jump it. No success. Took battery cable off and tried again, nothing. under the steering wheel theres a hole to put screwdriver so key releases but didn't solve anything.

19,890

Was the battery dead, then you couldn't get the key out?

80

I parked it with the keys in it, which is normal for me. When I got in the next morning I noticed the key wasn't in right position and no power. I figured I left in accessory position. That's when I tried to jump it. Battery is good though.

19,890

Ahh ok, sounds lick a bad ignition switch and or tumbler.

15,095

If your key is stuck in the ignition, try turning the steering wheel and at the same time turning the key to remove it. If it is not in the power position, you will not start the vehicle from the key in the ignition. Put on the parking brake, foot on the brake peddle and using some strength, jerk the steering wheel left and right until the key is released.

60

im having the same problem with the key locked in the ignition BUT our doors are locked and cant get into the truck because our battery is dead! i have the fob and wondering if we can jumpstart it from underneath the truck?? HELP!!!

15,095

You will need to get into the cab to get the vehicle started. The steering wheel will at times hold the key in if it is not set right when parking. The key needs to be in the start position to start with a jump start. If you can get inside and release the door locks physically, that is how you get in. Then do the jump start trick. Just like above, turn the wheel left or right at the same time try to twist the key to the release point and pull it out. If you park on an incline with the wheel turned, it may turn back the wheel and hold the key so you have to physically turn the steering wheel to unlock the key.

220

I have the same problem my key is stuck in the ignition and there is no battery what do i do?

15,095

Zachary, read the above entries from me. This happens to me on occasion, and I've always got it out by doing what i wrote.

This happened to my 03 chevy trailblazer LTZ and the battery cables needed to be cleaned.... key loosened and startedup.

Hi this exact thing happened to my 2002 Trailblazer and the battery screw in posts were loose and corroded. Cleaned them put dialectic grease on on them and problem solved. My battery was almost new so who ever installed it must not have cranked the screw posts down enough. Both ground and hot (red) were bad.

15,095

The side screw in battery connections really suck. Ever since I bought my 1969 Corvette, it utilized the side screw in connections. Not only was it difficult to connect or disconnect, the threads were made of lead, and it was very soft. If you tighten them to hard, the threads either strip, or the plug connector pulls out. I got a JCPenny's battery in the mid 70s, an had them put the battery in. they tried 7 (seven) batteries before finally getting it to connect properly. I keep looking for a connector to put on the battery before dropping it in behind the driver's seat so a connection would be easier, but can't find such a device.