Rx300 Lexus fuse box smoking
So my buddy's Lexus had a problem. He
said that the fuse box just started smoking.
We replaced some blown 15As and they
popped as soon as we put them in and we
replaced tel fuse I have no idea what that's
for and it popped also. We through it might
be just a junk battery so I bought a new
one. It turns over fine but doesn't start and
I couldn't here the fuel pump go. Can you
guys help me out please and thank you.
It is a 2001 rx300 Lexus and I think I can here the fuel pump going it also has 193xxx miles on it
Have someone go through it before the vehicle burns to the ground.. If its shorting and burning multiple fuses there a problem in the wiring harness. A multimeter and someone with an understanding of electrical circuits is needed.
You may have a short to ground somewhere that is causing one or more circuits to draw too much power, thus blowing the fuses. The smoking is an immediate concern, you have wiring that is burning. (although it may have just been the fuses blowing, or even a relay). You or a tech need to check over the circuitry with a voltmeter and see just whats going on. The fuel pump relay may have blown as well, to address that problem. A battery can't cause this sort of trouble. Has anyone modified the wiring in this vehicle, maybe installed aftermarket speakers/amps?
I looked and the wiring harness and there seems to be nothing burnt and I think the fuel pump is fine I can here it when I try to start it. And what is a relay and where would it be located? And the guy before me used to have subs but he got rid of them and the car was fine.
If you can hear the fuel pump then obviously the relay is okay. When you say "used to have subs," then someone did modify the wiring I take it? I've bought many cars from auctions and sheriff sales impound lots as well as old cop cars, where someone added subs/amps (or police equip) and butchered the wiring in the process. Mostly by adding or tapping into circuits at the fuse box for power, and just because they took the subs out, doesn't mean they restored the wiring - most likely they just cut it and left it in place. It's the amount of power that subs need, and running a thick power cord needing 30, 40 or more amps and jumpering across multiple circuits to get it is a huge problem. Not saying that's your case, but if your wiring/fuse box has been modded for the sake of those subs, that is a good place to start troubleshooting. If you saw/smelled smoke then something is burning, your just not seeing it. Most of the body wiring harness is under the carpet or door sills, that's also one of the places people run speaker wiring too.
This is what the previous owner had said "I didn't cut any wires to hook up the sub but I tried to replace the center council and cut a few fires but soldered them back"
I'd remove the center console and find every wire he cut/soldered and redo his work. Even a nicked wire can be a problem.
Looking for a Used RX 300 in your area?
CarGurus has 1,018 nationwide RX 300 listings starting at $1,794.
Search Lexus RX 300 Questions
Are you a UK consumer? CarGurus now has a discussion forum in the UK.
Lexus RX 300 Experts