My RPM needle barley moves.

50

Asked by Dec 21, 2013 at 05:57 AM about the Mitsubishi 3000GT

1992 3000GT SL, 122000 miles, Automatic transmission.
All the other needles work fine. Only the RPM needle dosent register.
Anyone have any Ideas?

108,725

Does this coincide with it not accelerating? Or does it rev up ok just needle not moving?

I'm going to say the ground wire on this component...perhaps the entire dashboard's ground....wirebrush the main ground connection at the 1/0 battery cable that attaches to ground...wirebrush the lug by holding it with a pliers in one hand and the wirebrush in the other hand...and the space where the lug bolts to.....remove all the corrosion at that main ground and the devices that need to get grounded properly will have their ground~

50

The car accelerates, Just not as fast as it should. I can be going 80 MPH and the RPM needle does not move. All the other needles work fine.

108,725

If your car was not built for California emissions don't waste your time looking for an egr valve cause you don't have one. Oh and you are still driving it even though you know it's not running right? Have you inspected or replaced the timing belt yet?

108,725

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-d415_ds570301 --- check the connection on your cam/crank position sensor? (If you still running the original two in one on back bank head.). Then INSPECT timing belt and tensioner. If out of spec replace it and water pump. Then check and set initial timing. While doing this also use timing light to make sure that all plugs wires are firing.

6,015

sounds like a PTU going out or bad PTU connection, I rule out your timing belt or related parts being the cause since its running good except for it being a little sluggish,, but that would be a symptom of the PTU not working correctly from the connection or just going bad, and its definitely not the EGR since that has absolutely nothing to do with your RPMs, and I don't think its a ground wire to the tach either, you really should check out the PTU

6,015

I forgot to add the the tach signal is fed through the PTU, and also controls your spar signal to the coils

wow....you know your stuff....impressed~!

6,015

thanks sir

20

Daniel . My car is the same year and model and the rpm gauge at 75 mph only like 500rpms .. And only 1500 at rev limiter the car sat up for 7 years . Do you think the ptu could be my problem .. My engine runs perfect tho . Have Anything to help? Thanks

6,015

your not getting a good signal to the tach not sure where it would be as it could be a few different things

20

Could you lead me in the right direction or tell me how/ and where the signal goes via wire diagram or something

what PTU stands for

6,015

PTU = power transfer unit ,,, means it transfers power to the ignition coils and is controlled by the ECU which gets its signal to send the signal to the PTU from the cam or crank angle sensor (depending on which year you have), it knows the RPMs based off if the amount of times it sends current to the coils and sends the signal to the Rpm gauge

6,015

Matthew all the repair manuals can be found on 3sx.com.. they have everyone for every model year and trim free for download don't even have to register or anything just go and download them in PDF format

Technically what do you hink might be the cause of my rpm barely moving on my chrysler pacifica?

6,015

bad connection or wiring .. ?? I don't have any idea how the RPM gauge in the pacifica work, what I stated is about the 3000gt and stealth, difference manufactures could use different methods of acquiring signal to the RPM gauge,, to me it should just go off of the crank or cams or even the distributor, how Mitsubishi decided to set theirs up is sorta whacked out to me,, but that is indeed how it works though, far as the 3000gt/stealth go anyways,, the pacifica could be exactly the same but I have no idea for sure one way or the other,, sorry wish I could help you out better ciscofashions

10

same problem with rpm needle for a couple of months idles and revs fine. but today it died on me driving pulled and checked distributor cleaned points put back on because I had checked coil for spark and did crunk up and ran. drove about 4 miles died again. no spark from distributor or coil. thinking it was a fluke the first time when I checked coil and had fire don't remember checking wire for spark. could bad distributor cause coil to go out or is this ptu issue. no spark from no spark from coil

10

we're exactly is the ptu located