Piston Rings?

35

Asked by Sep 19, 2009 at 10:14 PM about the Nissan Sentra

About half a tank of oil gone in 520 miles.. no leaks... 2 weeks. Ongoing problem.. I had hoped the engine just burned bad oil. What should I do now?

25

idk what you should do but that has always been a problem with the older models. it is possibly the pistons rings, the walls could be scarred up so maybe it needs to be re-sleeved, theres a couple options all costing a lot of money.

25

What engine? I think i've said this on here already... but the QR25 from the 00-06 SER has 2 WIDELY known oil consumtion issues, especially with the years 00-02. There are screws inside the intake manifold that that get sucked into the engine and scratch up the cylinder walls if they arent Loc-tited properly from the factory. Also the pre catylist tends to burn up and get sucked back into the cylinder due to *normally* rich a/f ratio, also scaring the cylinder walls and causing oil consumtion.

25

I should add, most 04+ QR25 including the Nissan Altimas QR25 are a rare case, its the older sentras that have this issue more commonly. If your using a ton of oil, its likely cheaper to buy a whole new or used engine and having it installed then rebuilding what you have. to read all about these issues sign up and read here: http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=135241 You will want to take these procedures after installing the new/used engine to prevent another failiure.

35

I've known this to be an issue, just didn't know oil consumption was a result. At this point I'm already considering the VQ swap.

5

hey if anyone has any idea what this problem could be let me know, i have the same problem as josh does, my sentra uses oil like none other, im consistently putting oil in it, and its not leaking or anything either. it be great to figure out what exactly is wrong with it, ive got a sentra se-r 2003. so if anyone know please let me know

445

A good place to start would be reading what Brian Ritchie posted so you can know the most usual causes. If your car's 100% bone-stock, you should consider changing your OEM exhaust manifold for a header and relocate the secondary (heated) oxygen sensor just posterior to the secondary cat located in the midpipe to avoid getting an SES light for the cat's absence. Also, there's the intake manifold's "butterfly" valves; the screws that fix those to the intake manifold MUST be secured with Loc-Tite or else they may come loose and get sucked into the engine. Usually this is done by dealerships because there's a recall for that, if your car hasn't been worked on that recall you should have it done.... If you already did the butterfly valve screw Loc-Tite thing and have dealt with the Pre-Cat issue already, then most likely you'd have to look for either a new or used engine or having yours overhauled....

35

The engine stopped burning oil x_x...... I don't get it. The butterfly screws are fine I've checked them recently. The precat is fine and hasn't thrown the engine light.