We bought a used 2009 Subaru WRX with 97,000 miles. I was told the 2007 was the last year they had timing belts--and I cannot find anything in the owner's manual that mentions the timing belt!

Asked by Nov 28, 2015 at 03:46 PM about the Subaru Impreza WRX

Nothing in the Owners Manual mentions a timing belt--does the 2009 WRX
have one?  We bought one used with 97K miles on it.

18,075

The WRX with the 2.5 Four has a timing belt. I would definitely recommend inspection and possibly change ASAP.

Best Answer
18,075

Your engine is an interference engine and revs high, so, doing this work soon is cheap insurance. I'm surprised it's not discussed in the owners manual. Hopefully, your car does not burn oil or have any head gasket issues as well. It's a manual transmission, correct? And, do you have the STI?

Will do and thank you for the information. The car came with an owner's manual and we could not find anything on the timing belt-- made me hopefully think it didn't have one!

Yes, it's a manual transmission and not the STI. We've only had it for two weeks, so not sure about burning oil yet, but it seems all subaru's we've owned in the past burned oil..After driving it in the first week the engine light came on... We are taking it in next week for them to check that out.

18,075

Oh, the engine light came on. Did you stop and check the oil? And, did you purchase your car from a private party? Yes, it's a good idea to get this out and keep an eye on the oil consumption. If my answers were helpful, please mark one of them best answer. Thanks.

Yes--just spoke to my son, he said he checked the oil just a few days ago and it's good. We purchased the car from a Toyota/Subaru dealer "as is." The engine light came on the very next day after bringing it home from the dealer.....

18,075

sfrankl, thanks for marking my answers. So, you did purchase this from a Toyota/Subaru dealership, was it a new car dealership? I'm a little surprised that they sold it "as is ". Therefore, no warranty, not even 90 days, 6 months? Well, I hope you got a good price? I imagine it's a nice car, since it's a 2009. If you can post a picture of your car.

18,075

Since you purchased this from the dealer, ask them if they changed the timing belt and water pump? They may have already done this.

18,075

sfrankl-- did you check with the dealership about whether they sold you the car with a new timing belt?