Right rear wheel locked up.

Asked by May 13, 2016 at 08:36 PM about the Mazda B-Series Pickup

I have a 2003 Mazda B4000 4x4 with a manual transmission.  I was driving
it today and parked it.  Now it will not drive.  It starts and I put it in gear but
it seems something is locked up.  The left rear wheel only turns by hand
backwards.  I pulled the drum and it was still pretty well locked.  Again it
does turn reverse with difficulty.  The right rear wheel turns pretty well.  
Would this be the bearings seized?

75

wheelbearing seized would halt motion in both directions odds are something in the differential broke loose and jammed it up pull the rear differential housing cover off and first indicator is rotten egg smell 2nd would be if no oil comes out of the thing. 150$ for new rear axel from junk yard change the gear oil and front pinion seal and your good to go

Thanks for the reply. This happened a few days ago. After it sat a couple of days it seemed ok, and I actually drove it this afternoon, a couple of stops and all was fine. Then when I got home this afternoon it locked up again. Would not something in the differential lock it up completely?

40,105

I would drain the rear end lube and look for metal particles in it. I seriously doubt it is a wheel bearing and you have eliminated the rear brake so it has to be something broken the differential.

75

no bc after it cooled down it probably broke loose allowing it to spin after it heated up and got red hot it fused to the shaft again you need to crack the pumpkin open worst case scenario u spend 10 dollars on a new gasket and 13$ on new gear oil but you gain peace of mind and like I said if rear end is jacked up u have 2 options junk yard rear end swap or get all new rear end gears and bearings kit

75

junk yard near me rear end assembly 149.99 at a you pull it place vs Dahmer Powertrain/Differential Price: $1499.99 Core $200.00 A "Core" is an item that has the ability to be rebuilt by the manufacturer using new replacement parts. Rebuilding these items helps to reduce product cost as well as aid in recycling efforts which helps the environment. When the old part is returned to AutoZone, we refund the core charge to you. Part Number: 01348C Warranty: 1 YR Notes: Front 3.73 gear ratio.

40,105

I wouldn't go buying parts till I found out exactly what the problem is.

Thanks everyone for your assistance. Are the rear axles for a Ford Ranger and Mazda the same? I am not finding any Mazdas in my year range but have found a few Ranger axles. As long as the brakes and gear ratio match I am thinking I am good. Is there anything I should look for when I fjind an axle? Again, thanks for everyones help.

75

the mazda b4000 is 80% part exchange with a ford ranger so if same gear ratio and same wheel base width yes it should work take a ruler messure pumkin to wheel both sides and pumpkin to the spring mounts and shock mounts and make sure they match up

75

B-Series Pickup 2003 interchange list :1998-2009 Ford Ranger

Thanks again to everyone who wrote in answer to my question. All were very helpful. I will hit the salvage yards this week with tape measure in hand. I copied the info on the tag to be sure I get the correct gear ratio and hopefully the truck will back on the road be end of the week!

75

rear ends are easier than u think be sure to get it centered so your not dog tracking down the road as well message from cross member for transmission to spot on outer end of differential so when you install the new one u get it as close to center of alignment as possible . every vehicle has a little side step down the road never perfect but as close to profection is what you want to be