Where is the number that tells me what size motor I have?

Asked by Mar 02, 2014 at 03:09 PM about the Ford Falcon

I have a 64 and was told there is a 289 in it, but i am skeptical and think it to be a 260 like
the vin indicates. The only numbers I see is on the intake which are C40E-9425, but again
that's on the intake. How can i find out if its a 289 or 260?

http://www.fordification.com/tech/engineID-V8.htm -- check this out you might find it helpful

Mike Sullivan

check out this website: http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/all-ford- techboard/459173-289-block-questions.html You may want to join this Facebook page too, you will definitely get your answer on this site. https://www.facebook.com/groups/FordFalconOwnersGroup/ ?bookmark_t=group

Thomas Smith

At the rear of the engine-Count the bell-housing bolts,for a starting point...A 260 has 5..Early 289"s also, had 5, but it is VERY DOUBTFUL, that you have a 5 bolt 289,as they were rare, and installed in the mustang/Falcon Sprints...Also, starting in 1964, The 5th digit, will tell you what was originally installed..There are a series of numbers,on the passenger side( right hand) cast into the block,above the oil-pan rail, that will tell you what block you have..