my radio is on but there is no sound from the speakers

Asked by Apr 14, 2011 at 06:35 AM about the 1996 Toyota Chaser

95

Check if your car has a stock amp under the passenger seat. It could be blown or disconnected, other than that check the back of the stereo to see if all your connections r ok

95

check your wires, making sure they are connected to the speakers and properly connected to the head unit. If it is an older model (see lder than five years) may be a good idea to replace it.

1,010

Just had this problem. Radio comes on, no sound (or it would make a loud static sound if you hit the radio or ramdomly on it's own), everything else is fine, display, CD works etc.. So I bought an identical used replacement radio on ebay, still not working and the same problem. Then I found a post that suggested looking in the trunk and found that one of the plastic terminals for the wires on the rear speaker had broken off. Wiggled it, and the radio came on. Problem? Stuffing too much junk in the trunk caused the problem, it snapped the plastic clip where the speaker wire is soldered in (connection was in fact still good), and then it shorted. Hope that helps.

60

@tconway! thanks! I just had that same problem happen to me yesterday! I had put my daughters bike in the trunk which must of hit the wire! my radio is back on! thanks!!!!!!! 08 Camry

60

This is great information - I do not have a trunk per se as it is a Sienna (van) do I still look in the back? i.e. where should I look for this wire?

55

@tconway wish i would've read this 4 months ago when my radio went out. Toyota wanted to charge me $55 just to look at it. I now have music and radio again in my 2010 Corolla S. Chick magnet hahaha

30

I checked for built in.amp in my 99 crown vic checked all speakers even replaced harness amd cd player still no sound

I was driving and my radio just went dead in the middle of a broadcast. The answer was, that I has been moving a heavy object in the trunk a few days before, and it must have bumped the rear speaker wires in the trunk. I checked them and they were all connected, but I did wiggle them a little, and "bingo" the radio was back to normal. Poor design placement, but this blog saved me a repair cost. Thanks!

50

So happy I found this post!! Our 2012 Corolla lost all sound but the radio still showed as working including bluetooth, CD, etc. My husband had put tires in the trunk to get our snow tires changed and sure enough knocked off the speaker wire and it grounded out. Toyota told us to buy a new radio system but thankfully I saw this post and my husband had it fixed in 5 minutes. 5 years later and this post is still helping people!!

Bingo! Spot on! I checked and the red wire had come off the speaker...connected it and now it's working again. This thread saved me replacing my original stereo and paying $400+ as two technicians said it's a faulty systrm.