my radio is on but there is no sound from the speakers

Asked by Apr 14, 2011 at 06:35 AM about the 1996 Toyota Chaser

95

Check if your car has a stock amp under the passenger seat. It could be blown or disconnected, other than that check the back of the stereo to see if all your connections r ok

115

check your wires, making sure they are connected to the speakers and properly connected to the head unit. If it is an older model (see lder than five years) may be a good idea to replace it.

1,210

Just had this problem. Radio comes on, no sound (or it would make a loud static sound if you hit the radio or ramdomly on it's own), everything else is fine, display, CD works etc.. So I bought an identical used replacement radio on ebay, still not working and the same problem. Then I found a post that suggested looking in the trunk and found that one of the plastic terminals for the wires on the rear speaker had broken off. Wiggled it, and the radio came on. Problem? Stuffing too much junk in the trunk caused the problem, it snapped the plastic clip where the speaker wire is soldered in (connection was in fact still good), and then it shorted. Hope that helps.

80

@tconway! thanks! I just had that same problem happen to me yesterday! I had put my daughters bike in the trunk which must of hit the wire! my radio is back on! thanks!!!!!!! 08 Camry

100

This is great information - I do not have a trunk per se as it is a Sienna (van) do I still look in the back? i.e. where should I look for this wire?

75

@tconway wish i would've read this 4 months ago when my radio went out. Toyota wanted to charge me $55 just to look at it. I now have music and radio again in my 2010 Corolla S. Chick magnet hahaha

60

I checked for built in.amp in my 99 crown vic checked all speakers even replaced harness amd cd player still no sound

20

I was driving and my radio just went dead in the middle of a broadcast. The answer was, that I has been moving a heavy object in the trunk a few days before, and it must have bumped the rear speaker wires in the trunk. I checked them and they were all connected, but I did wiggle them a little, and "bingo" the radio was back to normal. Poor design placement, but this blog saved me a repair cost. Thanks!

60

So happy I found this post!! Our 2012 Corolla lost all sound but the radio still showed as working including bluetooth, CD, etc. My husband had put tires in the trunk to get our snow tires changed and sure enough knocked off the speaker wire and it grounded out. Toyota told us to buy a new radio system but thankfully I saw this post and my husband had it fixed in 5 minutes. 5 years later and this post is still helping people!!

Bingo! Spot on! I checked and the red wire had come off the speaker...connected it and now it's working again. This thread saved me replacing my original stereo and paying $400+ as two technicians said it's a faulty systrm.

70

Can someone load a picture of where in the truck to look , sorry im not car savvy i just drive my 99/00 toyota camry im not sure where to look, i was brave and checked the cables were connected in the back of the radio which took me 5 months to figure out how to take it out of the car, and i changed the fuses under the steering wheel, toyota told me its 200 to replace the window because it might be the window.........please help

10

Thank You tconway!!! Got in my car today and the radio powered on, but no sound (other than a couple of static blips as I drove down the road). Found this post after I got home, and it seems I, too, broke a plastic terminal while taking a large box out of my trunk. Re-positioned the plastic piece so that the wires no longer touched the speaker frame (?, the metal surrounding the speaker) and all speakers working like normal. Just saved me a lot of anger, frustration, and money!

Thanks tconway! The speakers in my 2005 Toyota Corolla suddenly stopped working even tho the lights and indicators told me the radio/cd player was playing. I checked the rear speaker terminals in the trunk and everything looked ok at first. I gave the terminals a wiggle and found that one of the exposed heavily soldered terminals had become bent and shorted out on the terminal next to it. Bent it back and the sound instantly came back on. Problem solved!

2013 Camry Se have no sound right side speaker up one and passenger side foot. Happened after i was add the twitter, i took out twitter now i add ground it working but wind sounds , all others speakers working perfect . I look at all the fuse Perfect ! any good advice thanks.

30

I have not seen any amp under passenger seat and I don't see anything inside the trunck , where else can I look ? help

20

my radio Toyota corolla 2010 is no sound. I need help.

Omg! Thank you so much...I was so frustrated without my music.

It worked for me too! Just bent the piece back up, in the trunk connected to one of the speakers, and now the radio works. Thank you for this post! What a blessing!

I have a 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser....the 2 front speakers and both door speakers stopped working. The speakers in the roof are working. Any idea how to fix this?