delta 88

Asked by Jan 03, 2016 at 03:29 AM about the 1982 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight

I have a 1982 Delta 88 that I had to change
the lifters and the cam in it now it has a lot
of pressure on the motor and it would not
turn over and crank I have to hold of the gas
pedal down for it to the Halfway crank til i
get off the pedal then it Ä“cuts off

Assuming that you got the cam timing right and the Pistons are not hitting the valves, it could be hydro locked from coolant getting into the cylinders when you removed the intake to replace the lifters, remove the spark plugs, then unplug the coil, and then crank it over and look for coolant spraying our of some of the plug holes, clean up the plugs put them back in then see if it turns over better, if it does then reconnect the coil and your ready to,fire it up and run the cam breakin procedure. HTH

Best Answer Mark helpful

I took them out and clean them I went through that step it seem like it have a lot of pressure on the motor

does oil have anything to do with anything cuz my oil is milky from water and coolant being in it do I need to change that it may be that will help

UH OH if the oil is milky that is not a good sign, usually when the intake is removed the coolant will just go to the bottom of the oil pan and stay there until it changed before you fire up the engine so it never has a chance to mix, was there any milky residue under the intake manifold when you had it off? I would chance the oil and filter before going any further. Did you reprime the oil pump before you put the distributor back in? Was there any water in the cylinders?

If your car has a water passage through the intake manifold there may be a coolant leak. Did you remove the intake manifold to install the new cam?

no I did not prime the oil pump and there was no coolant in the solenoid when I turned it over I didn't see anything shootout

No it wasn't milky wen I had the intake off

So change the oil and filter ASAP, prime the oil pump to get fresh engine oil to the new cam, make sure the timing is correct and everything is right it should start.