I am looking at buying a 1979 924 porsche what are some pros and cons about this car

Asked by Aug 15, 2013 at 01:55 PM about the 1979 Porsche 924

45

I purchased a new 1979 924 as a daily driver. 100k hard local road miles from 1979-1983 in a non-salt area. No major engine issues, tires, brakes, exhaust were replaced.

1,460

You want a "S" model with the Porsche 2.5L engine. The older Audi engine set-up is a disaster. Should say PORSCHE on the cam cover, can't miss it. I'd do a cam and balance shaft belt replacement and check the seals while in there. To do it right you need the Porsche tension-er gauge. Very expensive gauge, about $500. Do not anything else, they do not give the accuracy needed. All good Porsche shops have them. Other than normal maintenance, those engines are bullet-proof.

155

This was my first Porsche I owned it was a 1979 Sebring Model with Jackie Stewart plaid seats. I bought it for around 3,500 dollars and put over 350,000 miles on it when the odometer stopped working and it kept running until it just died one day with probably 400,000 miles on it. Pros-awesome pricing, great gas mileage, fun car. Cons- replace batteries and tires often, starter and ignition will need to be replaced around 90K miles. Overall awesome car if you do your maintenance and change to oil every 3K miles you can't go wrong buying this car.

1,460

As long as you buy a 924S model, that one has the Porsche 2.5L engine, OHC and balance shafts, basically bullet-proof with care of course. Do not, under any circumstances buy the Audi engined model, a complete disaster by any standard.

I have a 1979 924 and will agree that the Audi based engine does not idle smoothly by modern standards, and it's no rocket, but it gets better gas mileage, can be repaired by a mere mortal and for a lot less money. The bottom end of these 2.0 liter motors is bullet proof. I had always heard they were rotten motors but for a daily driver on the cheap for those who can do their own maintenance this is the highest smiles per mile car I've ever owned and that includes a 300+ hp European sports car.

Here are some pics of the 1979 924.

outside

1,460

If it has the Porsche 2.5L engine, it's worth looking into. If it has the Audi engine, walk away.

Like I'd mentioned my 2.0 Audi engined car does idle more roughly but it is far cheaper to run and rebuild than the Porsche 2.5l. I get over 30mpg and can outrun most modern cars on the freeway and almost any car on a very twisty road. The car has way more capacity than most drivers and I include myself in that. The car's handling is unbelievably neutral and when it does pivot the center of gravity is where you're sitting- very easy to control unless one is doing something really crazy. Don't ask me how I know!

My first road tour in my Audi powered 924 was from San Diego to British Columbia and back at speeds of 80-110mph the entire way up and back. On snowy passes, down the Grapevine in LA nothing could keep up unless it was on the straights or up a long hill. Just get a low mileage- well maintained example with maintenance records. Mine had 43,000 miles, new Michelins, new timing belt, new brakes and water pump with the Porsche 5-speed A/C and sunroof and only cost $2,700. I was just as biased as anyone until I actually drove one for a year. It is my daily driver and it has not been in the shop once. I have three other cars but almost always drive the 924 instead- simply because it is the most fun to drive.

1,460

What ever you say. To test the handling, try a few autocrosses and see how you do in your class.

I agree with you that the 2.5 l would win every time. I am simply surprised that the 2.0l's are far better cars than most people think (and as noted that also included me). Not that they are better than the 2.5l. For example if you are dead set against the car's that's ok. But if you have never owned a 2.0l then I think there shoiuld be room for discussion, just as I concede the 2.5L is faster. If the guy has an Old's Alero either car is an upgrade.

1,460

I worked at a Porsche shop with a mechanic that had to work on them at a dealership when they first came out. No one else would touch them, they were so problematic. When our shop got one he refused to work on them, and I don't blame him. The 2.5 is faster, only much more reliable.