1968 LeMans Convertible newbies.

35

Asked by Oct 05, 2010 at 09:26 PM about the 1968 Pontiac Le Mans

My Wife and I just picked up a 1968 LeMans Convertible tonight.  This is our first project car.  It need some carb work and has some damage to the drivers side rear quarter.  Not too much rust and the top is in good shape.  Has a 455.  Any advice is appreciated.

Any idea what the 455 is out of ? what kind of carb is on there now? what kind of damage on the quarter rust? got any pics? to see the engine code look just under the passenger side head you will see a 2 digit code either two letters or a letter & a number stamped in the block . i can tell you what that engine is from just from that code.

35

Not sure where the engine came from. I'll get the code this weekend. The carb is a holley 3310-3. Here are some pics. http://www.flickr.com/photos/51436676@N08/sets/ 72157624973065117/ We have replaced the wheels and tires since the pics where taken. Thanks for the response. Heath

the body looks really nice & original . a good bodyman can straighten that quarter out or replace it if it needs to be,they have that replacement panel at Ames Performance or year one. if you're not sure on the engine size its stamped on the block in raised numbers near the motor mounts on either side.it definitely looks worth restoring.what number are the heads , two or three numbers on the middle exhaust port (ex.66,7f6).

35

That's are next step is to get a body guy to fix the bad spots and then paint it. I did check the engine size before we bought it to verify the size and saw the 455 stamp. I'll check the heads numbers too when I get back to Kansas city. We got the car for 5000.00 and just had to get the carb rebuilt for it to run.

not a bad price, you definitely got a good deal. cool 455 thats what i have in my lemans. next time you go to a car show /swap meet pick up a MOTOR's repair manual. i have few for my car, one is 1972 but it covers from 66-72 . most of these books are in really good shape & they are not expensive usually around 10 bucks & come in handy! Good Luck with it .