what causes the dim lights to go on and off ?

420

Asked by Apr 01, 2013 at 02:50 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

26,645

the dim lights?

Best Answer

a bad ground. Follow the negative battery cable from the terminal down to the chassis and engine...make 'em all sparky fresh and clean, put 'em back together and this "dimming" will go away.

420

Sometimes my dim lights will work and sometimes they go out going down the road and they flicker off and on while sitting still.

88,635

I think you are talking about you dash lights, try slowly rotating the dash illumination dial and watch the lights, if they flicker or just go out then there is you problem a bad switch. If they don't then you need to get in the dash and check all of the cluster connections.

26,645

oh the low beam headlights. you had me thinking some sort of light was dim, if included headlights in your question that would have been better.

94,815

If you're talking low beams, they are on a circuit breaker instead of a fuse. You could be drawing too many amps, tripping the breaker and it comes back on when it resets.

26,645

we still dunno what lights your talking about. Is this the guessing game?

dirty potentiometer or rheostat~

kbro, think he's talkin' about the dash lights seeing as he's unresponsive to anything responsible~

26,645

Aint no telling judgy. hey I just noticed he have a new #1 Guru.

H25....mellow fellow....will back him on everything he says!

360

I have a 2006 trailblazer and it does the same thing, the dim lights just go off, they may stay off 5 minutes or 5 hours.... we have changed All of the relays and fuses and replaced the bulbs, I am scared to be out at night because of it. The brights still work, but people get real upset with me!!

the BCM body control module has a mind of it's own and frankly, those who have them wish they could turn them off, sure there's gotta be a way, involving the terms "menu" and "select" and plenty of beep beep this and that membrane switch activation what has you feeling as confident as standing in a pool of ankle-deep chicken stock~

the mini has two pages on what you can do with the three buttons on the key controller and is a pain in the gazooka~

280

Sounds a lot like the same problem I had w/my 2006 Trailblazer. The headlights went completely out while I was driving. Can't remember if I had hi or low beams on. I tried to switch back & fourth between hi & low but still no lights. My dimmer switch is on the same arm as my turn signals & cruise control (off of the steering column). Flicking it forward turns on hi beam, flicking back turns on low beam. Not exactly sure what it does if I pull it back past the low beam slot & hold it. The lights did come on when I did that but they were brighter than the normal hi beams (could it have turned on both low & hi beam headlights @ the same time?). When I let go the headlights went back out again. While I was pulled off the road waiting, they suddenly came back on w/me doing nothing. It has ~130,000 miles on it. It had ~85,000 when I bought it. It did this a few months ago, never did it before & hasn't since but then I also pretty much quit driving it @ night. Is there something simple enough that I can do to fix it or does if require taking it to a licensed mechanic?

will check into the existence of a headlight relay...gonna have to find your schematic.~

10

2007 Chevy Trailblazer: This morning (early hours in the dark), my headlights (standard, not hi-beam) started flickering and then went out and then came on again and then flickered again and went out and stayed out....while I was on the interstate. Scary! All other lights work, parking lights, tail lights, dashlights, etc. Would a bad relay/fuse cause the lights to flicker first before they go out or should I take it to have the electrical checked out?

88,635

Catlady the most common cause for the headlights to flicker and then go out is the headlight switch itself, it has a built in circuit breaker that can get weak over time, but the wiring should be checked just to make sure there is no shorts.

10

Thank you tennisshoes. I almost wasted money on a new relay. Good thing I saw this first. I will see if I can find somewhere to take it. Thanks again!

88,635

Most independent shops can handle this, just make sure they are certified by ASE or ASP.