What could be wrong with my 1986 Dodge Diplomat?

Asked by Feb 16, 2011 at 09:32 AM about the 1986 Dodge Diplomat

been hvn the Dip for over 3 yrs..fixed several things on it witin tht time bt it still acts funny. It idles really high(winter and summer), smells like it's burnin rich, shoots out black soot or somethin and water out of tail pipe(enuff to turn the groud black), smokes, but once warmed up, I tap the gas and it gets quiet. It runs but it'll cut off at any given time or day if driving it...and sometimes( at certain places) it acts like it doesn't or doesn't start up. Flood out easily...what cld b the prob??? Help...I love my Diplomat and wish it was running good!

Probably too late with an answer here, but I had the same problems with my 85. The soot problem is indeed from running rich. In my case it only happened during startup until the engine warmed up. The problem was the vacuum pulloff unit on the choke. This pulls on the choke during startup when the engine is cold, allowing more air into the fuel mixture. Without that air, the mixture is gas-rich and the extra gas gets burned off, causing all that soot. Go to the parts store and ask for the choke pulloff. I think it was less than ten bucks. You'll have to look on the carb to get the serial number first. That can be harder than you'd think, but it's there. Use cleaner and a rag if necessary to unbury it on the casting wall. If the car is also stalling randomly after startup, you might need to rebuild the carburetor to clean it out really well. Or adjust the float. But I'd fix the running rich problem first and see if that takes care of it. -Carburetor Jerry

230

when your car dies when driving or slowing it is an easy fix doesent wanna run right CUT THE CATALITIC CONVERTER OFF PUT IN A PIECE OF STRAIGHT PIPE OR REPLACE THE CONVERTER it will still blow out the tail pipe even if the cat is clogged i have repaired 7 dodge diplomat plymouth fury it has worked great for me as far as the idle running high thats because you have the police package 4bbl quad carb on it lose it thats the entire reason for the idle you have to change the carb to non police package the hesitation and dying will stop i bet my rep on it my friends

10

i have a 1987 dodge diplomat and when ever im at a stop sign and go to give it gas and hit the pedal it will stall out and die if i give it too much gas. Does anyone know what the problem could be, thank you very much