1990 Ford E150 5.0 EFI: Engine turn over / No Start

70

Asked by Jul 19, 2011 at 10:16 PM about the 1990 Ford E-150

However if I first prime the throttle body with carb cleaner, then turn it over, it will start but not run unless I keep movement going with the excell peddle, even then it is very non responcive, will die as soon as I stop moving the peddle or take my foot off of it. Has NEW fuel pump in tank, NEW main high press pump, and NEW fuel filter. Old gas has been drained from the tank, and new gas put in.  

135

umm try to adjust the idler screw.

did you bleed the air out of the fuel system?

70

Yes the fuel system was bled totally just after the system was put back together. Fuel pressure and volume at the fuel rail is normal and more than enough. When I prime the throttle body and then it cranks, I have to keep pumping the excell peddle in order for it to stay running, if you can call it running. I have noted that the check engine light works with ign switch on, and also noted that while engine is kept running that the check engine light does not come on indicating any problems from that system. I am starting to think the fuel injectors are simply not getting the proper signal in staying open long enough, or at the right time, yet there are no codes storing to indicate a direction of a problem source. Bottom line is, there is ample fuel through the fuel rail, yet the engine is starving for fuel to crank and run properly.

70

I could only wish for such a simple and obvious cure, but low to no idle rpm is far from the stated problem.

bad ignition control modgel.

70

as it turns out, it was a bad MAP sensor. I started unplugging componants, and when I unplugged the MAP sensor the idle smoothed right out, and the engine revs just fine now, however I now have a check engine light on from the MAP being unplugged, Must be some sort of weird short inside the MAP to effect the RPMs and idle yet without setting check engine light. One for the books thats for sure.

when you unpluged it,it sent a coad to computer,unhook battery for 10 minutes rehook,it will clear the coad and turn the check engine light off.

20

I changed the MAP sensor and still will not run. It will fire and then die. Used carb cleaner, no difference. Any other suggestions? Is there a coolant temp sensor that could be bad? It had been doing this for a while, but finally start and stay running. After driving issue went away.