1998 1500 5.2 Shuts Off Randomly

Asked by Aug 29, 2011 at 04:39 PM about the 1998 Dodge Ram 1500

does anyone have an answer to the mysterious shutting off problem i have 1998 1500 5.2 that shuts off randomly and if i wait a few seconds to minutes it will start again. I have replaced all tune up parts, pick-up coil, ignition coil...new fuel pump... cant seem to figure it out no one will diagnose no computer code or check engine lite. i was told either computer going bad or distributer can anyone confirm so as not to be wasting money???

10,775

Ceramic ignition resistor block on the firewall has failed, if you replace it the issue should go away

300

I also had the same problem i replaced the idle air control valve and it solved my problem hope this helps cost me 15 bucks

300

I have an 98 dodge ram 1500 5.2l

475

Did you figure it out? my 96 is doing the same thing and I can't figure out what's causing it.

155

If your truck has theft with a code key. It could be the theft module. Came across that problem on a Intrepid. When the module shut down, it couldn't read the key coad and would turn the car off. If you don't have theft, I would check the crank sensor. It could be going bad.

150

its your ecu/ecm . the trucks computer is the issue bad connections

1,055

does it do it when coming to a stop or when taking off from a stop or shifting from drive to reverse/vice versa? you clutch might be going if thats the case

175

If its the computer it should give you a code one your odometer saying no bus. Mine had the same problem a few years ago

175

on*

30

I was told that my Ram 1500 does this same thing because my engine is wearing and the fines are poluting a sensor. once the sensor is wiped clean, it starts up again. My 1500 started sounding like a deisel about 5 years ago. I was told it would be several thousand to fix it, but it really gave me no problems. Once in awhile at 70 or 75mph it would start surging. But that was rare and no big deal. I think I'm now at a point where I need to sell or repair. IT is happengin every week or two.

410

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.2 and I bought it after it had been sitting 8 years and it ran strong for a day or two then on my way home it stared losing power and cutting out and then died. I let it sit for a second then tried to start it back up and it wouldn't start unless pedal was full throttle so I took the old fuel pump out and put a new one in and it still runs only for a second then you try to give it gas and it shuts off I mean this truck has no power. I replaced the ignition coil too and no change. I just don't see how it goes from running great to nothing at all. this is my only transportation so if anyone could help me I would really appreciate it.

620

If you have replaced the pickup coil in the distributor the crank sensor will do this a lot, it is located on the passenger side at the top of the transmission between the engine and transmission, it can be removed from top just lay on the cool engine, passenger side and 2 bolts hold it on , it slips straight up and out, they are pricey, but that is what normally goes out on the ones I have repaired....get a good one dont spend on the cheap one

130

Where gas filter in maybe I need to replace..in my dodgeram 1500 v8 magnum. 5.2 .year 99

255

i got an 01 5.2 it shuts down when driving and it could start right back up or be down for 4 hours later i have replaced pick up coil cap and rotor plugs wires crankshaft sensor throttle body sensor oxygen one with it tryed taking the brick out of the CAT it was all dust after i took the brick out it ran good for 300 miles and started the sudden death thing agin has power and crank but no start

80

Ok, I posted a while back about the electronic control was killing me because no diagnostic codes would occur. I could force failures to determine my diagnostic tool was working. After checking everything that goes into the module was ok and not failing I took a chance and swapped it out with one from a junk yard. Fixed in and has been doing fine for almost 10K miles now. Still you got to wonder how many have died when this defect shows up. The damn thing always overheated and died just as I would pull out in traffic. I am glad I did not take it to the shop to have it diagnosed. I doubt they would have ever figured it out since it was intermittent.

220

I have a Dodge ram 1500 4x4 v8 magnum 5.9L .97" All of a sudden when I go to start it, it turns over and runs for a second I have to hold the gas until it idils over 1, for about 5 mins and then it will be fine! But as the truck did to me today I was driving in an intersection and it completely died no steering no breaks nothing (mind u I'm a 22 year old small girl) almost crashed into to someone but it does start right back up but I'm so scared at having to stop at a light bc it idils almost at "0". At this point I don't know what to do I gave it a complete tune up and all but getting worse as the days go on! Help!

10

I had the same problem captain kirk here to help it cuts off because some way it lose power I put a zip tie on the cord to hold the wire on the top of the coil and bottom tie I promise you it would fix your problem cost let then a buck let me know if it solve the problem because I had no check engine light on or nothing

30

Well I had same problem and poured about 1000 dollars into it and found out it was just clogged fuel filter on the pump in tank

30

My best guess is you have you have an emissions problem. Your getting air in your gas line and your O2 sensor is doing it's job identifying that. I had the same issue on my 97. Could be something as small as a loose gas cap to a clogged catalytic converter. Inspect your fuel lines and filler neck on your tank that's where my problem was. Dry rotted hose. Leaked gas when I went to fill up my tank. All I did was take it apart and applied self forming gasket around the seal (gasoline resistant of course) put her back on and righted the hose clamp. Disconnected my battery from the positive terminal for 20 mins and just like that no check engine light no issues. Been 6 months since her last stall.

10

Had the same problem in a 1998 1500 V8 4x4. Changed out the ignition sensor and the problem went away.

90

QUESTION*** 96 ram V8 magnum. Sometimes she starts up just fine, I can drive all day with out it dying. Other times, (like right now) it won't start, when it dies it just goes. No warnings. But I've noticed that when I get to about 20- 25mph, that's when I lose steering and breaks, and all my engine lights come on..... anyone have a clue to what it may be? danicalkins@gmail.com

60

Question. I've got a Dodge Ram 1500 2000 model my girlfriend set off the anti theft system but I turned it off drove it for two days then it shut off again tries to start but won't. Checked the fuel rail and it was getting gas I asked everybody I knew if they knew why it was doing that. Is there anyway to fix it? Because when you poor gas down the throttle body it will start right up just won't stay started

20

I have a 99 dodge ram 2500 van with the 5.2 it kept randomly coming up with a crank sensor code while bucking and misfiring, I changed everything related including the timing chain and it turned out to be the Alternator was emitting RF and confusing the computer, unplugged my alternator and it would run great , plug it back in and it would start skipping and misfiring. Alternator try unplugging the snap in connector and driving it , if it clears! there is your problem.

30

Dodge ram 1999 turn of after 30 minutes I have no idea what it could be help me please!!