2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Won't Start

Asked by Jan 31, 2008 at 08:50 AM about the 2005 Dodge Ram 1500

This is crazy but my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 with 19,500 miles on it won't start.  It won't turn over...no clicking...nothing...nada!!!  Turn the key and it appears to have full power as the radio comes on, clock is still set, headlights work, etc.  It won't turn over.  It's under full warranty and I've had it towed to the dealership twice already.  The first time they replaced the PCM (powertrain control module) and a week later it wouldn't start.  The second time they replaced the ignition switch and now two days later same thing...won't start.  It's about to get towed to the dealership for the third time.  What the heck could be going on with this?  It's not costing me money but it's very aggravating and so far I've been fortunate that I was at home when it wouldn't start so I didn't get stranded somewhere.  Anybody have any ideas?  Thanks for the help.

have them replace the starter,just because is new,could still be bad.

6,755

Agreed good place to start, ask them to re-check the staring switch and also ask them to check the alignment of the "starting rod" and the inj switch at the bottum of the steering column. Keep track of everything, when you have to start paying the bill you might have a chance to get a "goodwill" warranty if they just "happen" to be able to fix it once it is out of warranty, I have a customer going throu that right now with a certain import MFG. Just given you a heads up. Best of luck and I hope this helps.

595

Hey did you ever find out the solution to your truck not starting. I have a 2005 dodge ram with the same problem

470

I have the same problem with my Dodge 2005 van. Any solution

470

Ok I took the car to the dealer and they changed some wires in the engine. that solved the problem

470

I forgot to say they changed the impact sensor (recalled Item)

280

I'm having the problem now myself. Its happened 3 times in the past 2 weeks. Dealer here has no ideal what to do. I think that it happens when i start it but release the key before it starts. Then go to start it again and nada dash lights come on radio come on it dings at me but no sound at all

270

I have a 2005 Dodge ram and they switched out the ignition switch at 30,000 miles now 7 days later I came out to go to work and the "lamp out" light came on, when I got out to see what lamp was out, the truck shut off and would not re-start...they towed it in and found nothing...the only code was for a fan...the when the tow truck got there it started...is this the similar pattern...is the IMPACT SENSOR an item that could be causing this?> Frustrated!

check the PCM fuse, obviously the starter is getting power because in a car its the first thing wired to the battery in a series.

11,625

well your all gonna laugh, but this sounds kind of like the issue i had with my 96 ram, check your battery connection, what was happening to me was i had a good enough connection to keep my clock radio lights and stuff on, but id go to turn it over and it would click and die, just a suggestion.

Im hoping the idiots at the dealership started with the battery when they were troubleshooting. if not find a real mechanic.

11,625

haha yea if they missed it there idiots but who knows just a little insight

generally when a car wont start you begin along the ignition system (battery, starter, plugs, wires, coil) and progress to the peripheral components after ruling out the most common and probable. the bare minimum the clowns at the dealership should have done is ruled out spark and fuel delivery problems before scratching their heads and giving up.

11,625

haha as a backyard mechanic my self i always start like that, new vehicles hav become overly complicated and to smart for there own good, have you ever noticed how your vehicle runs better with that check engine light from an emissions code i meen really theres too many modules and controlers and electronics in vehicles today im almost 18 and i say stick with an older vehicle and youll be better off

290

I have been having the same problem with my 2005 dodge 1500. Within the last 2 weeks, have gone out to start it and will not start, turn it over and all dash and interior lights will start flashing and will not stop. Take key out and everything just keeps flashing, have to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. Have taken to the dealership twice and they just seem lost say they got it to start and cannot find anything wrong with it, but cannot explain to me what is going on with the flashing dash and will not even turn over when this happens. Just hoping someone has figured out their problem and can help me out.

300

I am having the same problem as you seem to have had. Did you ever figure out what it was? My truck just sits in the driveway dead and has for about two weeks. Turn the key and I hear the starter seleniod click then the dash goes screwy. please let me know what you found. Kenshi@bellsouth.net

35

hey. i ahve never had this problem but my boyfriend rolled his chevy and we found that it was loose ground wires causing the same problem for him. sometimes it would start and sometimes not. but when u turn on the key, if ur dash/lights go all screwy then its probably a ground wire. there should be 5 wires to look at. make sure u check that all 5 are securely connected so there is no room for movement. if u dont know where all the ground wires are, let me know. good luck!

280

Same problem. Won't turn over, won't start. Tow truck driver checked battery, relays, etc. Nothing. Towed truck to shop. Dropped it off. It started! Week later, stranded me again the same way. Got a tow. Drop the truck. It started! Mechanic not sure where to start because they cannot replicate the problem.

300

I found the problem. it was the battery. it was pushing 1 (one) cranking amp out of 650. I yanked it out and had it tested on a table, bought and installed the new battery. yanked the Alternator and had that tested too (just to be sure). works great every time. Thanks for the help!

280

Replaced the fuel pump and a few things necessary for other reasons, but not necessarily related to the "not starting" problem. I also had them replace the battery, since it's been 5 years or so since it was last replaced, and it's a relatively inexpensive thing to do. Truck's run perfectly since. My guess is the battery, but don't have an official explanation.

15

Check your starter, dont know if this will be posted twice or not had to refresh, the solenoid went in our work van, no clicking nothing! then out of the blue it would work FINE! sometimes the solenoids click sometimes they dont, you described our problem to a T and it was the starter!

65

holding the key in the start posion for a bit then hury and touch the positive then negitive if one is warm thats the bad conection

280

Happened again, but this time the mystery is solved. Put it in neutral and the truck started. Quick search uncovered explanation: http://www.automedia.com/cs/forums/t/289.aspx

20

I had this problem with my truck and I disconnected the battery for a few seconds (30 sec) and then connected again and the truck turned on. I am hoping my problem is just the battery's capacity cold crank amperage. You could try this it might get you out of a bind.

160

I am having this problem... When your dash lights came on did your fuel Gage and battery Gage work or not? My does not didn't realize this until the 5th time it happened. I can make the truck start by powering the ASD relay with 12 volts directly then starting it . However what is the weather like when this is happening to you guys. I think this plays a big role in this problem. Please give some feedback. I have change every relay and PCM but still with this problem.

50

I had my 2007 towed to the dealership and they insisted that it had a chip in it for a remote which I never got. After 3 hours of testing they toldme I was right and that someone must have had one in the parking lot at Ingles Grocery and used it on their truck and it reset my truck cause it was close by. $200.00 later they said if it happens again just disconnect the negative on the battery and the truck computer will reset and I should be fine.

80

my 2008 DodgeRam did the same thing this morning...had to have it towed to the dealer..... Issued was solved...... Wireless Sensor Module had to be replaced....reads to the chip in the key.... $417.00 later...

250

my 2003 dodge ram will turn over but, wont start any suggestions? Ialready tried unplugging the battery for 30 seconds didnt do anything. I thought it was out of gas so I put gas in it that took the gaqs hand to the line right before empty and still wont start im starting to guess its the fuel pump but would like to see if theres something else i can do before I go there with it.

25

If U hace a 318 Cu In. V8, check the Ceramic Resistor on Block. Inexpensive Part is hard for Garages to find unless they know this motor's weak point !

40

hey i have a 96 ram and it is the same prob everything works but it wont start it wont turn over or anything but i can start it if i connect a wire from my battery to the port in my relay how did you fix urs my dad says there is a wireing problem under the box

100

Had the same problem with my 2007. On the PCM I found a fried mosfet. Switching transistor. Replaced it at a cost of $2.64. It fried again. Truck went to the dealer and they said the instrument cluster was the cause of the problem. I told them they might just find the issue goes a little deeper. Got a call back to say the instrument cluster change did not rectify the issue and more parts are ordered. I suspect it is a PCM and instrument cluster issue. Your issue may be the instrument cluster also. Do the gauges move about randomly?

40

Do you have a remote start or an alarm installed? Sometimes they can go haywire or if you lock the doors with the remote then unlock them with the key and try to start it the starter kill switch will not allow your truck to start. It could also be a problem with the linkage to the transmission, if it's not completely engaged in PARK it will not start.

150

mine just did that what you have to do is take and insert the key. turn it one time so everything will come on. press break down and hold shifter up making sure it is in park. turn the key off. hold the brake and is should start right up. i just got done doing this. it will reset the system in the truck. if it doesnt work for you then im not sure what to tell yall. good luck.

35

I've had to do this a time or two myself.

100

2007 dodge ram that would not turn over. Dealer found bad instrument cluster.....replaced........bad TNIP........replaced..........4 wheel drive motor not functioning..........replaced. What caused the original issue, who knows. Seems strange a four wheel drive motor is associated with TNIP issues but that was the case.

65

i had a 97 with that problem it would turn over but nothing..... i would pull the fuel relay under the hood wait 1-2 min put it back in and presto...

20

My 05 ram did that i turned it of and it would not restart all the gauges and lights went wacko,lol changed out the battery and the problem went away

160

All things that I have done. Then a month or so goes buy and same problem returns. When I get it to the dealer it starts fine. Only way I can start it when it does this is power the asd relay directly back feeding the hole system thn hot wire to cylyniod to crank motor all done un der hood. Once started its good for a few days then it stops again.

150

i seem to be having same problem 2003 ram replaced battery cause it wouldn't start everything turns on all power ...engine cranks fuel pump turns on fuel in rails etc... just wont kick over ...the funny thing is if i go out in am its cold but will start like yesterday but went out later today and now wont start this isnt the first time this has happened and now im getting aggravated i did notice 2 days in a row it has like a power loss while driving when im pressing the gas pedal but only for the first few miles after the trucks been running

100

Turns out the issue with not even turning over was two fold. The instrument cluster was faulty and the power distribution circuit board below the fuses was also faulty. Along with this the four wheel drive motor also died at the same time. How these 3 issues relate is unknown to me. Anyway the dealer replaced the instrument cluster and fuse/circuit board box. The truck then started and ran but had no 4 wheel drive. The 4 wheel drive motor was changed and everything now worked. Drove the truck 800 km and the check engine light came on. Took it to the dealer and the code read faulty instrument cluster. One more new instrument cluster installed. 3 instrument cluster in a truck that does not even have 50,000 km on it seems excessive. Would I buy another Dodge after these issues, not likely.

750

I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500. Unfortunately I just bought it from a used car lot a month ago. I've replaced the battery, but I'm still having problems getting it started. I turn the key on and the dash lights and stereo light up, turn the key and nothing. I would have to turn the steering wheel from left to right before to get it to start. It took over 15 minutes tonight to try and get it to start, it finally did...any suggestions on whats wrong? When I turn the key, you hear just one click and that's it...I have full power, it just wont start?

40

i have a 2002 ram van 1500 changed starter,batt,new fuel pump,tune up and when driving van 30 min it acts like it ran out of fuel. wont start for nothin.3 mech. worked on it and cant figure out

40

make sure your not having a bad transponder key problem if your key is grey your ram has a transponder black no transponder. call a locksmith if it is grey. it could be bad key or reader or both also the key could have been droped too many times and the chip in the key could me bad

80

I'm having the same problem. Ram will start with the command start and run fine, but when I put the key in the ignition and touch the break it stops. Try starting it with the key and no power on the dash. I changed out the ignition switch, but that didn't help. I have two key's for the truck, both don't work. Any suggestions?

A lot of people even mechanics over look the oveious ( ctof )check the oveious .A lot of people think battery Voltage is good! Voltage is not what makes the eng run it,s Amps. voltage is a by product . one can have voltage but no amps always check the battery which na load tester not a volt meeter

80

got it towed in to a dealer. It was corroded wires under the fuse box. Apparently someone had been testing the wires by putting small holes in the wires and with all this rain they ended up corroding. Had to replace wires.

60

My 2003 Dodge ram truck would not start this morning, lights were flickering all over the place. I then gave it a jump and it started for a minute and then died on me. My truck will not stay on after a jump, any suggestions out there.

935

+1 on this ! Same thing on my Nitro. Chap terminal connectors on battery. I wire brushed them, put some anti-oxide on them and good to go.

I know I'm late to this convo. My husband just had this happen also. It was a small nut on the battery connection that vibrated loose. Thank god thats all it was.

90

Hey there same problem with my 2001 1500,dont know yet what it is but am still useing it,if you ever get stuck go under the hood and there is a wire from the fuse box that goes to your starter pull them apart and take a wire and put it on the positive terminal and the other end on the wire going to the starter, make sure your ignition is turned on,only hold the wire on till it starts i have to do this kind off a pain in the but,but works till i get it fixed.

90

Thanks buddy you just fixed my truck it worked for me

275

looking at this forum sounds to me that this is an ongoing problem should be a recall on it but sounds to me like a loose ground somewhere or bad conection

25

Just went through a very similar deal with my 2006 5.7. Truck starts and runs great for 3 years, then bang, go to start it and nothing. No warning of a dying battery/starter or any symptoms of anything about to go wrong. replaced the starter, still nothing. ended up needing a new battery and new battery terminals. I also cut off about an inch of corrosion off the ends of the positive and negative cables and stripped the insulation back(to get rid of the corroded parts) truck starts perfect now. I'm guessing the battery had a dead cell in it, and it just decided to go...it would act like it had a full charge, but it wouldn't hold it even for a few minutes. Plus the terminals were extremely corroded and it just wasn't sending any power down to the starter/fuse block.

20

I had the excatly same problem on my 2006 ram 1500, after checking all the fuses i just disconnected the battery and connected it again the car started up like there has never been a problem?????????????

30

did you check your starter and the wires going to it? it could be the ignition switch also. my ram would not start today because of a blown fuse under the hood.

10

My truck did the same this as many others, (gages came on, fan came on strong, but absolutly nothing at the starter, not even a "click") turned out to be the ignition wire at the solenoid (on starter) it wasnt making very good contact, so I cleaned off the conection and slid the clip on and off several time and its been working ever since. Once it wamrs up, I will change the clip. Most starters I have ever seen, have that wire on the solenoid bolted on with a small nut...why on earth they would switch such a viatl connection with a clip?? Oh well, it all works fine now.

160

I have a 04 dodge ram 1500 v6 auto that will not start. All the lights and radio come on but it will not start. i replaced the starter, ign switch and had the battery checked and it still will not even click. i checked all the grounds and the wire going to the starter. they seem good. i turned the key in the on position and put the wire that goes to the starter onto the positive post on the battery and nothing. should it work if i do that? is there anyone that can help me?

160

I have 2006 Dodge 1500, this has happen around 8 times in the last year. Everything works(lights,gauges,radio) but when turn to start, nothing! Replaced with new battery, checked alternator and fuses. This morning is happened again. Is a wire connection under the hood? in the steering column? is it fuses? can I fix it myself? any simple ideas.

60

i have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 and the engine is dead i have abot 100.000 miles in it so i have no warranty i bought this truck use tow months ago and this cant be happening since i bought it i heard a noise coming out of the engine the guy who sold it to me said that it was the timing belt and that i should replace whenever i have time that it was gonna cost me like 150 bucks well now they charging 3500 for a use engine the mecanic said that right now he has an other client with te exact same problem couldnt be that this truck is defective or can it be something else ?

30

Neutral safety switch.. My truck wasn't registering in park.. try moving your shifter down just a tad bit and jam it back up into park

50

I have same problem, sitting in idle it died and will not start. fuel gage wont work now, it says no bus in dash...any ideas?

60

Same thing with my sons truck. It's a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. It won't start, but everything lights up so battery doesn't seem to be dead. He was told it was the ignition switch and takes it in on Wed. Is there a recall on this or will we be stuck paying the 800 dollar bill? Any help would be apprceiated.

10

2005 2500 Ram Diesel-Batteries seem to be draining-if it sits a day or so it will need to jumped off. Issue today-get in turn key and it tried to start, turned key off and it kept trying to start. Little red light on dash came on and blinking. Also, heard a clicking/thumping noise. Found this noise to come from electrical block on to passenger side. Unhooked batteries to make it stop. When hooking up jumper cables- dead truck hooked up first then put ground cable on jumping truck-as I hooked up the Hot cable it had massive sparks. I removed it immediately. I think it is my ignition switch and/or in the column. I did do the shifter up and down and it did not do anything to help.

10

I experienced the same problem with my truck with the lights flashing and not being able to get it to stop until the battery was disconnected. My fix was pretty simple, with most dodge trucks the ground cable either gets loose, dirty, or is not connected in a good grounding spot on the body of the truck. All I did was relocate where my ground was connected to and cleaned up the battery terminal and everything was back to normal this may not be the case for everyone but it definitely fixed my issue no more flashing dash lights and no starts.

5

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT would not start. Step 1 Check battery power and connections. Sounds simple and it is. Test for CCA as well as voltage. Voltage alone can be misleading. If battery is ok, test voltage to the starter to determine if its a wiring problem. If voltage is OK, remove starter and have it tested. Go to parts store if unsure how to test. Starter is easy to remove on the Rams. 2 bolts and 2 wires. Remember where the wires go. Check starter and replace if necessary. Reinstall and make sure the wires are in the proper places. I accidentally put my solenoid wire on the wrong small post and that prevented it from starting. If this doesn't work, verify that the engine can still turn(manually). If it doesn't, then you have a seized engine and probably need to replace it.

20

I have a 2005 Ram 2500. Turns over and runs fine cold. But when I run it during the day and shut it off. And wait a little while. It doesnt want to start right up. No check engine light. I have had the fuel pressure tested and its about 45-49 up to the rails. Changed out the crankshaft sensor. Cleaned and re gapped plugs. Listened to the injectors and they sound good.. just running out of options. Can anyone please give me some insight. Thanks

20

I backed into the drive way, turned off the car. Poured some gas into my car bc the gas gauge was indicating Empty. I got back in the car and tried to start it for 15-20 minutes. It would electronically crank, but it never sounded like gas was getting to it. If I floored it a lot, even 70-80x stepping on the gas, it sounded like it would pop it started for the first crank, and after that it only cranks electronically and you hear no gas. What is the deal?

860

Seems to be an ongoing issue with the same defective ignition switch in these vehicles as the Ford, Honda, Acura, Lexus, Toyota, and Infinity that all use the same bad parts. Change the ignition switch and consider yourself lucky you didn't get cheated by crooked dealerships and dishonest manufacturers.

10

Same issue as the original post. Lights work, everything seems fine, but nothing even turns over. Another part of the puzzle for me was neither key fob would work to unlock the doors either. Found another post with this suggestion: "Just go back to the truck, open the hood, take the battery cables off. Touch the cables together, to unload all the power left over in it, and wait 2 minutes. Supposed to be like a hard reboot of everything. Then go hook up the cables. Negative first. Wait, then Positive" After I hooked the battery cables back up everything worked. Key fob remote unlocked the door and the truck started right up. Crazy....

30

When it no start, no cranks n you've got all the dash etc working ---- it's the electronic ignition switch, the black thing on the left of your steering colume -+-- cost $30 ...plug it in, turn ur key on n with screw driver turn the new ignition switch and boom...it starts.. then finish install... it's none of that other hocus pocus BS... it's the electronic ignition switch not providing fire to the engine etc.. simple solution..

95

Mine cranks and almost starts but seems like it's got no ass to pop off

10

I have a 05 dodge ram and was on highway made it about half a mile and check engine light came on and was flashing, started losing power immediately so I pulled over. truck shut off and wasn't able to get it started. the battery seemed like it was dead so I jumped it and nothing, bought a new battery and it started up after cranking on it for a few minutes and was just running flat out like shit and died haven't been able to get it started after that. I had all the lights on inside the truck and just couldn't get it going. when I try to start it it sounds like a machine gun going off. The alternator seems fine. Any suggestions where to start would really help. thanks.

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. Ultimately, I thought the poor battery connection was the first and easiest solution and it paid off. We'll see if anything resurfaces, but after cleaning up all the contacts, replacing some rusty/corroded hardware, and reconnecting the existing battery, all problems disappeared and the truck fired up. Bye the way, my problem may have been a bit unique. I started my 2005 Daytona with my auto-start, stepped on the brake before inserting the key, and the truck died. But, then it did absolutely nothing. Only an odd little red light was buzzing (even with the key removed). Therefore, I removed the battery connection and went that route. Hope this helps others!!

i changed my battery and now my radio wont work. 2005 ram 1500 3.7. when i turn the headlights on i can see the radio backlights turn on but the display where the time and radio station numbers are at are blank. i need my sports radio int he morning plz help!

10

Bought my '05 Ram 1500 5.7L quad cab about a year ago. 150K miles with an evaporated sensor fault. Did great for a few months, then off and on it wouldn't start. After reading a few different boards I reset the PCM by pulling fuse 23, turning the key to on and waiting for three chimes. It worked and I went about my days... Until it did it again. I did a soft reset by removing the positive battery cable and holding it on the negative to do a soft reset. It worked for a little while. Two weeks ago it wouldn't start again and resetting the pcm didn't fix it. I cleaned all the terminals... no dice. I pulled out the ignition switch and tested it with a DMM it was fine. I pulled the battery and took it to autozone to check CCA, they said it was good but needed a charge. They'll charge batteries for free, said it'd be an hour and if I wanted I could go home and pull the starter and bring it in for test. I did and the starter tested fine. I took battery and starter home, reinstalled and the truck started. Put everything back together and it started and drove for two days. Yesterday it wouldn't start again. I had to work so didn't get to mess with it until today. A buddy at work said hit the starter with a hammer a few times like your tapping in a trim nail. I thought no way the starter tested good on the bench. Sure enough, tapped the starter cause I'm out of options and it started up. I went to the gas station and it wouldn't start again but I had the hammer with me tried it again and two times is enough to convince me it's bad. Autozone guy said pulling it and bringing it in probably did the same as tapping it. So I put in the new starter and it's started three times no issue. If it has further issues I'll let you know. Thanks to everyone for all the tips on here. I hope maybe someone can use my experience. Oh and when I had the ignition switch out I saw yellowing on the top pins which I read leads to A/C failure so if your A/C doesn't work check that. It's not easyour but it's better than paying the shop to diagnose it.

10

OK I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi with 58K miles, Fuse 23 keeps blowing. Had it towed the first time, then the shop I took it too gave me some extra fuses. Well it continues to blow fuses and I just pulled the negative cable to reset the computer and started it 4 or 5 times. Trying to figure out what is on the circuit PCM, SKIM, CMTC a couple weeks ago I got a replacement air bag installed by the dealership>? now all this. So I am thinking I have a dead short somewhere but don't want to pay the Dealer hundreds of bucks to tell me that I need a starter or a wire. Don't know if the reset of the computer worked but the temperature reading in my truck was 130 for outside and it went back to 50 which it is today in KC? I wonder if resetting it worked? Guess I will buy a couple more 15 amp fuses, since that resolves the issue temporarily but not for my wife she cant do that? Any idea's what causes FUSE 23 - PCM,SKIM,CMTC to continually BLOW? Think I will wait, I have found out a LOT on this forum. Hell it might just be the starter blowing the fuse? Any shade tree mechanics ever experience this? How could changing the air bag cause all this havoc? Oh this short blew my ECM in my transmission for a $900 repair bill before ALL this started????

I have a 2006 dodge ram 3500 5.9l diesel DRW. My truck won't start except in the mornings. I'm In the afternoon nothing at all! No turn over or anything! The check engine light comes on and will start to flash. I checked the starter and it's good, charged the batteries and the truck drive for two days and then the same thing happened again this afternoon. I then took the batteries and had them checked and they are good with 100% charge. I don't believe it can be the alternator if batteries are good. I checked the fuses and all are good as well. Can some body tell me what the neck to do??? Signed, Dodge or Die

10

Take it to autozone when it starts and have them plug it into there sensor to see what error codes you are getting. If it will not turn over and you have power, check fuse 23. My truck has been at the Dodge dealer for two days and they still do not know why it keeps blowing the fuse.

10

Replaced battery, it was from 2004. Took it to dealer for diagnostics? tried to charge me $400 and tell me I needed a new pcm, so I bought a rebuilt one and had my garage change it out. 36 hours later I am blowing fuse 36 again with a new pcm? 15 amp fuse, anyone have any idea's? I guess if I put the largest capacity fuse, replace the 15 amp with a 60 or 80 amp fuse it will not burn up but blow the problem so it can be repaired?