truck wont start without crossing the celinoid

Asked by Jun 01, 2013 at 04:07 PM about the 1991 Ford F-150

treuck wont start unless you sross the celinoid how do I fix this

24,995

If it's an automatic, try selecting Neutral and try to crank the motor. Wiggle the shifter while holding the key in the start position. Often, the neutral safety switch on the side of the transmission goes bad. If it's a Standard trans, I'd look at the clutch switch. Make certain that someone hasn't installed a half-assed alarm system that has compromised your wiring. I have seen some issues of ignition switches failing (the electrical switch on the column under the dash - not the key cylinder) - they're pot-metal and often break. If you need to drop the column to check the switch, disconnect the battery - there's 2 large hot wires that'll mess things up if the switch is broken and it comes apart while you're in there - not pretty.

24,995

I forgot about the possibility of a worn out key lock cylinder. 90 keys on the ring will wear it out and the gears, rods and linkage inside the column cover lose their ability to push the rod far enough to actuate the ignition switch (the one on the column under the dash)

8,585

You may also have a dead solenoid. The way to check is to pull the trigger wire off the top of the solenoid, and see if you have voltage when the key is turned. If so, then the solenoid is bad. They are under $15 at any parts store and take about 5 minutes to change. Two words of caution: ALWAYS disconnect the negative battery cable before you disconnect the solenoid and remember to teach the engine how to run after the battery is reconnected. The procedure is in the owner's manual and takes 20 minutes.

19,320

I've changed more ford solenoids than enough. Recently the 95 Explorer went bad and had to be replaced. It was an entire nine bucks at autozone. If you jump the solenoid and it starts, chances are the solenoid is bad. Sometimes crud on the battery terminals will do the same thing. Check that first.

10

could be the starter. that is what was wrong with my 1995 f150

50

I have put a remote push button switch from the cillonid inside the cab have been using this method for starting the truck for a while. Thinking it must be the neutral safety switch.replaced the main switch on the column. No help replaced neutral safety switch no help. What else can it be. Please help if you have any ideas.thanks Joe