is a 4.9L straight 6 a strong motor in the f150?

Asked by Mar 28, 2007 at 09:47 PM about the 1991 Ford F-150

21,200

Depends on what you men by strong Coastguard (Thank You for your service!) ... It's rated at 170 hp and a long run as the primary power plant of the truck line indicating it's reliability, strength of design and reputation. That is echoed by the fact that it is the engine of choice with most manufacturers of ground transport and support vehicles you see servicing the airline industry at the airport. Good luck

Yes the 300 is a very strong motor, i have heard story's of people having up to 500,000KM on a 300 and it still runs great, i personally have 237,000 on my 4.9 and it runs like a charm, doesnt burn any oil or skip a beat. Id swear it was new

1,185

The 4.9l, otherwise known as the Inline 6 or 300 6 is a very reliable motor. You keep thick oil in it and it'll run forever. I've got a 67 F100 with the inline six and I will admit, I do burn around in it every now and again. But not alot. As long as you give it an oil change and don't put it above 3,000 RPM's, it'll run forever. Mine has 200,000 miles on it so far.

1,525

Those Ford inline 6 (300) were one of the best engines built by ford, they go for ever with minimum to now trouble as long as you change the oil when supposed to. I had one (1981) that went 500,000kms and never smoked before the frame rotted and sold it for parts, two other people I know had one they had real good luck with.

30

I just bought a 1994 ford F150 ext. Cab for 2,500.I was really paranoid considering it has 314275 miles on it.but the thing purrs like a kitten.I didn't think to ask the previouse owner but is it possible this thing could have been rebuilt?if not,its the toughest engine I've ever had.

425

they are great engines we have an f250 with one in it and it can pull about anything... we have never had a problem with the truck

25

My 92 f150 has the 300 in it and I have pulled anything and everything I've needed it to and the fact that it does need to be rebuilt it pulls like no tomorrow.

40

I've had a F150 (Northland Edition) since it was new in 1991 with a 4.9L I6 and I have NEVER had an engine problem with it! Brakes, Tires, Oil and filters are the maintenance items needed. It has 460 thousand miles on it and it still purrs like a kitten. These days I mostly use it to push snow off my driveway and yard. This truck and my Jeep GC (Laredo) have been the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. I wish I could say that for the myriad cars I've owned.

100

it is a torque engine, not a speed/horsepower engine. It's VERY STRONG in pulling trailers,etc, but not so "strong" if you're going 60 mph and want to hit the gas to go 70 mph.

160

Yea I burn oil and over heated why am I burning oil I got 912932 miles on er

50

I've got a 91 f 150 and its got 280.000 or so and I'd swear by that truck no oil burning or overheating I fixed the overheating problem and it runs like a top good 4 letter word (FORD) I love it

30

Holy crap....years have gone by and the joys of the straight 6 have gone by and few can appreciate how great these engines are! Bottom line - enjoy your 300 & revel in the hp and mileage you get!!!!; I'm reveling in the V8 joys of the 57 Chevy. One of my best friends has a 91 F150....what an awesome truck!!!!!

60

This past Thanksgiving, I purchased a 94 Ford F150 with a 300 L6 inline 6 cylinder engine and a 5 speed manual transmission. The truck had sat for 8 years after the owner had a stroke and passed away. His widow sold it to me for $650. After replacing the battery, fuel tanks, fuel pumps, sending units, belts, hoses, and tires, cleaning the injectors and lines, and tuning the engine, I turned it over and with the help of some starting fluid, crankedit up. It runs like a dream. I have put almost 4000 miles on it since then. I change the oil and filter every 3000 miles.

50

I owned my 1994 E-150 300 since brand new, and I have 386,000 on it. The only thing that went kaput was my distributor rotor, It kept blowin due to a bad upper bushing in the distrib. Other than that I agree with every post, IT WILL OUTLIVE YOU.

100

Mine is a 1995 F-150 XL has 163,500 miles on it. Runs like a charm. No problems with it after 20 years in South Carolina.

100

Side shot

70

I turned 16 about 5 months ago and i asked my dad what kind of truck wed be tryin to get ahold of. He told me itd be a toughn. Whatever kid it might be. Well we stumbled by a silver 94 300 inline 6cylinder 4WD automatic without a dent in her. It had one previous owner and it had prolly been sittin for close to a year. Well me and my dad have always been fond of a straight stick so we tore out the automatic and put a few manual dudads and stuck a 5speed in the floor. It has around 154,560 miles on it and runs like a damn sewin machine. Doesnt use a lick of oil and i change it every 2000-3000 miles. Itll pull whatever you put behind it. Not much for squeelin tires though. Use it right and take care of her like shes your own and it will outlive you. Its the best truck a man can ask for.

170

I got a 92 f150 4x4 with the inline 6 last year. Just got a little over 99k miles on it. Looking to fix it up to get more up. Any suggestions? I'm thinking performance chip, updated exhaust system, k&n intake. To start with.

60

I had a 89 F150 with a straight six and the engine does its job well, but it has no freeway passing power, your pushing it to get through mountain passes and I once towed a newer VW Beetle on a dolly and that was its breaking limit, I was barely able to do over 60mph with it and the brakes were also at its limit and they were all in good shape. So if you going to be pulling more than 1 ton 2,000lb then you need a more powerful engine. The 6 in mine was rated at 145hp and I think 265 lb-ft @ 2,000 rpm torque but it just runs out of breath fast. The v8 will give you a longer power band for towing and passing power. Other than that, the engine is awesome. And it still sucks fuel like a v8.

20

In terms of toughness, the 300l is the baddest engine on the planet. Keep the oil changed and never let it overheat and it'll outlive YOU.

60

Fellas after reading all that was said, I feel a lot better about my 1995 ford xlt automatic 6 cyl. short bed 216,000 on it I drive it maybe once a mo. 10 to 15 miles and was wanting to pull alight camper about 16 ft

60

25

They don't pull good

80

I know this was asked many years ago, but other people ask the same questions, and a internet search leads them here, so answers are still relevant. I will echo some of the previous replies. I have owned 2 in the past, and just bought another one after a 10 year run without one. Is it a strong motor. Yes. It will pull what the OLD STOCK diesels of the late 80's and early 90's would. Don't get me wrong, in a 1/2 ton 2wd auto trans with 3.08 rear axle, NO, they wont. But in a 3/4 ton with manual trans & 3.73 axle, these trucks pull like a train! I can not stress enough how important gearing is for puling loads. So if that is what "strong" mans to you, check how the driveline is set up! "Strong" from 0-60. Um, not really. They are NOT bad by no means. Just no hot rod tire burner. Strong as in longevity? There are THREE engines in the truck world that are well known for super high mileage longevity ( 400,000 PLUSD miles before rebuild) They are the 4.0L Jeep, the 300 I6 Ford, and the 5.9 Cummins. Note all 3 are INLINE 6 syl. engines. The inline 6's have 7 main bearings. Making the bottom end incredibly strong. Just do the research. It is a flat fact. I will also stress keeping the RPM's down below 4000. Below 3000 even better. One must view the 300 I6 in the same light as driving a Cummins. Low RPM and fast shifts. But with the advantage of burning much cheaper gasoline. ( $0.75 / gal higher than gas everywhere around here at this time in 2015 ) And again I will echo, WATCH THE TEMP GAUGE! Happy rolling!

10

Strongest engine I've ever seen. By that I mean longevity. The LONG stroke provides scads of torque. Gear to gear timing, no chain means you don't have to worry about timing chains or belts. Agree with everyone else, Keep the oil changed, keep the RPMs low and NEVER let it (or any engine) overheat and these monsters KNOW no breaking point.

10

ddy said "they don't pull good". WRONG. Like ANY other piece of equipment you must have parts designed for the job it's doing. If you're running a high ratio rear end they don't pull good. Put the right gear behind it and they pull like a tank. If pulling loads you want at LEAST a 3.73 gear or lower. (Higher numerically) If not towing and fuel mileage is your thing go with a 3.08.

My 94 F150 is one tough truck it only has 128,000 miles on it. Never had the first engine issue, just the normal parts for the age, starter, radiator, etc. I just wished it was an automatic my knee is tired of the clutch. Other than some normal ford rust it is still in rather good shape.

735

Wait they need oil.....LMFAO jk....I have an 86 300 6 1bbl with a 3spd w/ "granny low" I have known these engines to be good n strong and to tell you the truth I was all for the gas guzzlin V8 never thought I could have a great 6 cyl if you want a " bullet proof set up the 300 6 hooked to a stick is the way to go the low end is 1600 rpm factory 4 in bore with 3.98 in stroke , and for those wondering the half ton in the 80's through 96 with 4x4 had the Dana axles

10

I have 1989 ford e250 I can tell you this is the best work van I ever had, motor and trans are all original I been around too zeros at least 5 or 6 times I'm the 2nd owner , straight 6 motor, extended body , just did body work and painted matt black , steal rims are high gloss white, you can't tell the van is 89 ...

30

I have a stock 1995 ford f-150 xl long bed ,automatic straight six 2wd and need to tow a flat bed trailer with a camaro. I have never towed anything with it , wondering if its possible?

50

Excellent motor,built for torque and will pull anything you have to, Keep an eye on the motor mounts and everything will speak for itself

10

I bought a 1979 straight from a guy that treats me like a son. Iam 19 it's the best starting out truck I believe. I love the truck and the motor plus the c6 transmission under it its a pulling machine.

10

I love my F150. It is so dependable. 1995 4.9 online 6 5 speed manual transmission. 139k miles.

10

Ive had numerous 4.9s. Ive kept one. A 1994 with the 300. Only has 110000. Shes a beauty..

10

I've got an 89 F-150 xlt. 4.9L I-6 300 5 speed. She's the BEST, STRONGEST, RELIABLE truck I've ever owned. 97k with the typical cab corner rust but otherwise she doesn't miss a beat. Always starts first crank. Had to realign my shifter shaft/wedge nut. Average oil changes and tune ups will allow that motor to surpass 500k+ LOTS of tourqe to pull whatever you need too. Take care of her and she'll take care of you! Simple!

20

Shopping 90s model F 150s and wondering; should I look for an inline 6 or go V8? Which has the best long lasting reputation considering I am buying an older used truck?

15

I just got a 1992 Ford E-150 with 80k miles for $1500 and i love this ting i'm going to convert in a camper van to travel all USA !!!

I just traded out my 96 Isuzu Rodeo/ 5 Speed/ 3.2 V6 with 122k miles/ AC/ Cruise/ Powered Everything and running fine for 1985 Ford F-150 Regular Cab/ Long Bed/ Inline 6 300/ 4 speed manual with true overdrive/ 271,000 miles/ leaf springs+add a leaf+ leaf spring stabilizer assembly. The owner before me had the entire engine and trans overhauled, it runs like it's new. Will do any and everything I need. You can't kill it.

It also has a 625 CFM demon cat carb, and racing intake. Just to give it a little more umph.

10

I have a1996 ford f 150 4.9 L straight 6 approx 183k miles I think it just needs a starter and battery how much u think it's worth body in good condition a little rust on top of tailgate

25

This is one of the best truck engines ever made. I drove big trucks for 28 years and there is good reason why every big diesel on the road is an inline 6. They are an inherently better design. This engine is naturally better balanced than almost any other, doesn't set up secondary harmonics like an I4 or any V6 or V8, the seven main bearings have already been mentioned which make it very strong on the bottom end where torque is applied and transferred through the crankshaft. The E4OD transmission does have a problem in the early years with being very long without an internal support which remanufacturers now upgrade and the newer ones have from the factory. The Mazda five is good but no granny gear. The Borg Warner T18 four speed manual is one of the best transmissions ever built and is an absolute tank, with a non synchronized first gear with a 6.32:1 ratio. It will pull anything. The New Process NP435 is a similarly superb four speed manual with a rock crawling granny of 6.68:1 ratio. It will pull a house. All the mentioned RPM considerations are correct, including NOT lugging this engine below 1600 rpms under load and keeping it under 3000 rpm, 2500 if you want to get decent fuel mileage. You will blow the skirts off the pistons lugging it, as a friend of mine did after bragging about how he could lug it like a diesel. Older diesels (except Detroits) couldn't be lugged below 1600 rpm either. I have had four 4.9's, three F150's and one E150 van, and currently am bringing back to life a badly neglected 1989 F150 with the Borg Warner four speed. It only has 92,000 miles but needs everything else replaced, but for $950? Fortunately, the previous owner changed the oil. Also, a very common problem with this motor is the pushrod cover gaskets slobber oil like a big ugly dog. Cooling system maintenance is paramount.

I bought a 95 f150 with the 300 IL6 back in November of 94...22 years ago. It's probably the last vehicle I will own, The one and only engine repair that has ever been made on it was replacing a lifter and pushrod. In 22 years.

10

I have a '91 F-150 that I've driven since I was 16 years old passed down from my great-grandfather then to my grandfather and to me. We never knew if it was at 90,000, 190,000, or 290,000 when they passed it down to me but I'm thinking it was around the 290,000 mark since it was 19 years old when I got it. It had the typical things needing replacement - master cylinder, starter, alternator, and THREE BLOWN RADIATORS. Those things would blow before the needle even got the the "M" of normal in the gauge. Other than that, the truck ran flawlessly for years up until about 4 months ago. I started hearing a faint knocking in the engine so I took it into my mechanic. He told me "Oh there's some pin that's probably just loose and that's what you're hearing" So I drove it in the 100+ degree Texas heat for the rest of the summer without an issue. Come December, my truck started SHAKING at idle and I was smelling some heavy exhaust fumes. Took it into my Uncle's shop since he's my Austin mechanic, we took the top of the block off, and I had a dropped valve in my second cylinder. I had just pulled trailers full to the brim from Houston to Austin and back again with a dropped valve and the truck didn't skip a beat...well... at least when I wasn't idling. These engines are soldiers. They do what they made to do. Even when they break THEY KEEP POUNDING ON. I must have put 2000 miles on this engine with a dropped valve. Besides worsened gas milage and a rumbling at idle, you would never have guessed. Long story short if you made it all the way through that post or if you just skipped down because you didn't want to read - you can't get a better engine for the price you'll pay for one of these.

I have a somewhat rusty 95 f150 with the 330 I 6. Great engine! Not a lot of horsepower but great low end torque. My engine has 305k miles and doesn't burn or leak oil. If my truck rusts away , I'm pulling this damn engine out of the truck! It's a Sherman tank! Rob

My father-in-law, who worked heavy construction machinery all over the country, often pulling a gooseneck trailer loaded to the gills with tools and equipment, had a 1978 F150 4x4 with 4 speed (1st was turtle gear) 300 6-inline, the Odometer stopped working at 386,000 miles, drove it for several years (6/7) after that, finally sold it to a farmer neighbor who used it to feed his cattle out in the field. It had started leaking oil due to the crank shaft having turned so many times in the rear seal the metal touching the seal was grooved, he tried to repair it several times but couldn't. If he had chosen to replace the crank it would had still been a trouble free daily driver. They just don,t make them like That anymore !

40,425

I have been looking around for an old F150/F250 and this engine would be my choice over the bigger V8's.

10

purchased this gem today. '95 f150 xlt 300/5 speed with only 83,000 miles. I'm looking forward to a long life for both me and my new 'baby'!