is a 4.9L straight 6 a strong motor in the f150?

coastguard2020
0

Asked by Mar 28, 2007 at 09:47 PM about the 1991 Ford F-150

LouB
19,710

Depends on what you men by strong Coastguard (Thank You for your service!) ... It's rated at 170 hp and a long run as the primary power plant of the truck line indicating it's reliability, strength of design and reputation. That is echoed by the fact that it is the engine of choice with most manufacturers of ground transport and support vehicles you see servicing the airline industry at the airport. Good luck

Anonymous
0

Yes the 300 is a very strong motor, i have heard story's of people having up to 500,000KM on a 300 and it still runs great, i personally have 237,000 on my 4.9 and it runs like a charm, doesnt burn any oil or skip a beat. Id swear it was new

tstansbro
1,095

The 4.9l, otherwise known as the Inline 6 or 300 6 is a very reliable motor. You keep thick oil in it and it'll run forever. I've got a 67 F100 with the inline six and I will admit, I do burn around in it every now and again. But not alot. As long as you give it an oil change and don't put it above 3,000 RPM's, it'll run forever. Mine has 200,000 miles on it so far.

Jon Keachie
1,445

Those Ford inline 6 (300) were one of the best engines built by ford, they go for ever with minimum to now trouble as long as you change the oil when supposed to. I had one (1981) that went 500,000kms and never smoked before the frame rotted and sold it for parts, two other people I know had one they had real good luck with.

fredduff1050
30

I just bought a 1994 ford F150 ext. Cab for 2,500.I was really paranoid considering it has 314275 miles on it.but the thing purrs like a kitten.I didn't think to ask the previouse owner but is it possible this thing could have been rebuilt?if not,its the toughest engine I've ever had.

JT Thacker
385

they are great engines we have an f250 with one in it and it can pull about anything... we have never had a problem with the truck

Will A.
25

My 92 f150 has the 300 in it and I have pulled anything and everything I've needed it to and the fact that it does need to be rebuilt it pulls like no tomorrow.

pghegseth
30

I've had a F150 (Northland Edition) since it was new in 1991 with a 4.9L I6 and I have NEVER had an engine problem with it! Brakes, Tires, Oil and filters are the maintenance items needed. It has 460 thousand miles on it and it still purrs like a kitten. These days I mostly use it to push snow off my driveway and yard. This truck and my Jeep GC (Laredo) have been the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. I wish I could say that for the myriad cars I've owned.

vax
70

it is a torque engine, not a speed/horsepower engine. It's VERY STRONG in pulling trailers,etc, but not so "strong" if you're going 60 mph and want to hit the gas to go 70 mph.

Danielle Lopez
120

Yea I burn oil and over heated why am I burning oil I got 912932 miles on er

Kevin Easterling
50

I've got a 91 f 150 and its got 280.000 or so and I'd swear by that truck no oil burning or overheating I fixed the overheating problem and it runs like a top good 4 letter word (FORD) I love it

Matthew Martin
20

Holy crap....years have gone by and the joys of the straight 6 have gone by and few can appreciate how great these engines are! Bottom line - enjoy your 300 & revel in the hp and mileage you get!!!!; I'm reveling in the V8 joys of the 57 Chevy. One of my best friends has a 91 F150....what an awesome truck!!!!!

John Terry
50

This past Thanksgiving, I purchased a 94 Ford F150 with a 300 L6 inline 6 cylinder engine and a 5 speed manual transmission. The truck had sat for 8 years after the owner had a stroke and passed away. His widow sold it to me for $650. After replacing the battery, fuel tanks, fuel pumps, sending units, belts, hoses, and tires, cleaning the injectors and lines, and tuning the engine, I turned it over and with the help of some starting fluid, crankedit up. It runs like a dream. I have put almost 4000 miles on it since then. I change the oil and filter every 3000 miles.

MwayneH
20

I owned my 1994 E-150 300 since brand new, and I have 386,000 on it. The only thing that went kaput was my distributor rotor, It kept blowin due to a bad upper bushing in the distrib. Other than that I agree with every post, IT WILL OUTLIVE YOU.

Joseph Dougherty
50

Mine is a 1995 F-150 XL has 163,500 miles on it. Runs like a charm. No problems with it after 20 years in South Carolina.

Joseph Dougherty
50

Side shot

Colby Burgess
50

I turned 16 about 5 months ago and i asked my dad what kind of truck wed be tryin to get ahold of. He told me itd be a toughn. Whatever kid it might be. Well we stumbled by a silver 94 300 inline 6cylinder 4WD automatic without a dent in her. It had one previous owner and it had prolly been sittin for close to a year. Well me and my dad have always been fond of a straight stick so we tore out the automatic and put a few manual dudads and stuck a 5speed in the floor. It has around 154,560 miles on it and runs like a damn sewin machine. Doesnt use a lick of oil and i change it every 2000-3000 miles. Itll pull whatever you put behind it. Not much for squeelin tires though. Use it right and take care of her like shes your own and it will outlive you. Its the best truck a man can ask for.

Briten
130

I got a 92 f150 4x4 with the inline 6 last year. Just got a little over 99k miles on it. Looking to fix it up to get more up. Any suggestions? I'm thinking performance chip, updated exhaust system, k&n intake. To start with.

Albert Torres
40

I had a 89 F150 with a straight six and the engine does its job well, but it has no freeway passing power, your pushing it to get through mountain passes and I once towed a newer VW Beetle on a dolly and that was its breaking limit, I was barely able to do over 60mph with it and the brakes were also at its limit and they were all in good shape. So if you going to be pulling more than 1 ton 2,000lb then you need a more powerful engine. The 6 in mine was rated at 145hp and I think 265 lb-ft @ 2,000 rpm torque but it just runs out of breath fast. The v8 will give you a longer power band for towing and passing power. Other than that, the engine is awesome. And it still sucks fuel like a v8.

Tom Swinburn
20

In terms of toughness, the 300l is the baddest engine on the planet. Keep the oil changed and never let it overheat and it'll outlive YOU.

forman
40

Fellas after reading all that was said, I feel a lot better about my 1995 ford xlt automatic 6 cyl. short bed 216,000 on it I drive it maybe once a mo. 10 to 15 miles and was wanting to pull alight camper about 16 ft

forman
40

ddy
25

They don't pull good

Kevin Jackson
60

I know this was asked many years ago, but other people ask the same questions, and a internet search leads them here, so answers are still relevant. I will echo some of the previous replies. I have owned 2 in the past, and just bought another one after a 10 year run without one. Is it a strong motor. Yes. It will pull what the OLD STOCK diesels of the late 80's and early 90's would. Don't get me wrong, in a 1/2 ton 2wd auto trans with 3.08 rear axle, NO, they wont. But in a 3/4 ton with manual trans & 3.73 axle, these trucks pull like a train! I can not stress enough how important gearing is for puling loads. So if that is what "strong" mans to you, check how the driveline is set up! "Strong" from 0-60. Um, not really. They are NOT bad by no means. Just no hot rod tire burner. Strong as in longevity? There are THREE engines in the truck world that are well known for super high mileage longevity ( 400,000 PLUSD miles before rebuild) They are the 4.0L Jeep, the 300 I6 Ford, and the 5.9 Cummins. Note all 3 are INLINE 6 syl. engines. The inline 6's have 7 main bearings. Making the bottom end incredibly strong. Just do the research. It is a flat fact. I will also stress keeping the RPM's down below 4000. Below 3000 even better. One must view the 300 I6 in the same light as driving a Cummins. Low RPM and fast shifts. But with the advantage of burning much cheaper gasoline. ( $0.75 / gal higher than gas everywhere around here at this time in 2015 ) And again I will echo, WATCH THE TEMP GAUGE! Happy rolling!

pitboxer
0

Strongest engine I've ever seen. By that I mean longevity. The LONG stroke provides scads of torque. Gear to gear timing, no chain means you don't have to worry about timing chains or belts. Agree with everyone else, Keep the oil changed, keep the RPMs low and NEVER let it (or any engine) overheat and these monsters KNOW no breaking point.

pitboxer
0

ddy said "they don't pull good". WRONG. Like ANY other piece of equipment you must have parts designed for the job it's doing. If you're running a high ratio rear end they don't pull good. Put the right gear behind it and they pull like a tank. If pulling loads you want at LEAST a 3.73 gear or lower. (Higher numerically) If not towing and fuel mileage is your thing go with a 3.08.

WVTAZ
0

My 94 F150 is one tough truck it only has 128,000 miles on it. Never had the first engine issue, just the normal parts for the age, starter, radiator, etc. I just wished it was an automatic my knee is tired of the clutch. Other than some normal ford rust it is still in rather good shape.

Dylan Detlor
665

Wait they need oil.....LMFAO jk....I have an 86 300 6 1bbl with a 3spd w/ "granny low" I have known these engines to be good n strong and to tell you the truth I was all for the gas guzzlin V8 never thought I could have a great 6 cyl if you want a " bullet proof set up the 300 6 hooked to a stick is the way to go the low end is 1600 rpm factory 4 in bore with 3.98 in stroke , and for those wondering the half ton in the 80's through 96 with 4x4 had the Dana axles

Al1985
0

I have 1989 ford e250 I can tell you this is the best work van I ever had, motor and trans are all original I been around too zeros at least 5 or 6 times I'm the 2nd owner , straight 6 motor, extended body , just did body work and painted matt black , steal rims are high gloss white, you can't tell the van is 89 ...

Dolla408
20

I have a stock 1995 ford f-150 xl long bed ,automatic straight six 2wd and need to tow a flat bed trailer with a camaro. I have never towed anything with it , wondering if its possible?

MwayneH
20

Excellent motor,built for torque and will pull anything you have to, Keep an eye on the motor mounts and everything will speak for itself

Dylan White
0

I bought a 1979 straight from a guy that treats me like a son. Iam 19 it's the best starting out truck I believe. I love the truck and the motor plus the c6 transmission under it its a pulling machine.

whitburger
0

I love my F150. It is so dependable. 1995 4.9 online 6 5 speed manual transmission. 139k miles.

Matryjus1964
0

Ive had numerous 4.9s. Ive kept one. A 1994 with the 300. Only has 110000. Shes a beauty..

Ed DeGain
0

I've got an 89 F-150 xlt. 4.9L I-6 300 5 speed. She's the BEST, STRONGEST, RELIABLE truck I've ever owned. 97k with the typical cab corner rust but otherwise she doesn't miss a beat. Always starts first crank. Had to realign my shifter shaft/wedge nut. Average oil changes and tune ups will allow that motor to surpass 500k+ LOTS of tourqe to pull whatever you need too. Take care of her and she'll take care of you! Simple!

Zach James
0

Shopping 90s model F 150s and wondering; should I look for an inline 6 or go V8? Which has the best long lasting reputation considering I am buying an older used truck?